Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE

Options
Yazoo
Yazoo Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm picking up my first BGE this Saturday. I was wondering how much time it will take to setup a large BGE and egg nest? I've assembled plenty of charcoal and gas grills before. Sometimes they're easy, sometimes you have to read the instructions. I want to make sure I have enough time to cook spare ribs that afternoon.[p]Also, is there any break-in process, such as heating it up to burn off any residues or not heating it up over certain temperatures for some period of time, to cure it? Anything like that?[p]Thanks,[p]Steve

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Yazoo,[p]I had help from an egg owner, but we didn't read the instructions for the hinge and band, so it took us about an hour. Had I read the instructions, I feel confident that it would have been done in less than 30 minutes.[p]As for burn in, none is necessary. I made a pork loin that day and turkey and tenderloins the next.[p]congrats and welcome aboard.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Yazoo,[p]Congratulations on your impending arrival! Years of good eats ahead![p]Like Mark said, an hour ought to be plenty of assembly time. You don't need to cure, or burn in, or anything else. The next to the last step in assembly is to prep what you're going to cook. The last step is loading up with lump. Oh, and forget the booklet - load lump to the top of the firebox.[p]Ke
  • bodean
    bodean Posts: 19
    Options
    Buy your favorite beverage sit back and relax and let the "Smoke" begin..................