Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Cook Brisket!!!

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know some of you won't like this idea, lol. But I tried out a "Quick" Brisket today, my first Brisket actually. I must say, it turned out really well. I was surprised with it, and all the guests were thoroughly impressed with it as well. I will definitely do a low and slow one next, just to compare, because this one was pretty damn awesome, if I say so myself.

Started with an 8lb flat. Trimmed the fat cap a little, then smothered it in DP Cow Lick.

2010-05-16141750.jpg

Next I put it on a raised grid, DIRECT, fat cap down, at 350* dome temp with four chunks of hickory. Then of course.........the monsoon ensued so I had to put a rain cap on it, lol.

2010-05-16151810.jpg

Let it run at 350* until it was internally 175*. Took it off and wrapped in double foil with beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, and then put it back on in the foil at the same temp, 350, for about another hour until it was 207. The higher internal temp was necessary to get it tender at a high temp, shorter cook.....or so I read it was.

Took it off and left it in the double layer of foil to rest on the counter for 45 minutes. After opening it, however, I decided it needed a better crust. Luckily I had turned the Egg up to 450 to cook the grates clean so it was still roaring. Put the Brisket on for about 10 minutes more per side, not in foil, and it ended up being a hit.

2010-05-16193054.jpg

2010-05-16193406.jpg

I know there is no smoke ring, and it may not be "right" for competition Brisket........but I liked it!!

Thanks for looking Eggheads!!

Comments

• Stuworld
    Stuworld Posts: 57
    Options
    Great improv on the rain cap. B)

This is what is great about food. It's not always about it being technically correct. In this case, it's about what makes you happy.

Great job and thanks for sharing.
  • Primeggister1
    Primeggister1 Posts: 379
    Options
    How quick and what was your internal temp and what temp were you running the egg at? I did a high temp quick Brisket an it turned out awesome, tender every where. It was a half smoked and half braised Brisket it was done in 4.5 hours. I also flipped it once after 1 hour of meat side down, to get a good smoke ring then flipped it for an 1 hour and braised it the rest. My temps where 275-300 for the Egg and internal was 195-202 in different spots of the brisket.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Wow, your first? Good job. Looking at the thickness of your slices tells me it was nice and tender. Brisket is really hard to photograph and show moisture, but you didn't have that problem.

One thing I have learned with the hot-n-fast briskets is that a long rest really helps them out, I'm talking several hours in a cooler insulated with newspaper.

The crisp up step does help with looks and flavor, especially if you concentrate on that fat side. But after the long rests I do, usually the Egg is not still going, but a couple of minutes under the broiler works well too.

DSC08334a.jpg

If you really want a smoke ring to pop, add a sprinkle of Tenderquick to the inside face (the side opposite the fat cap) only for 10 minutes or so, then rinse it off and dry the brisket well. Return to the fridge for one hour, then treat it as usual with respects to seasonings, cooking, etc. The one above is a hot-n-fast "doctored" brisket.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    Nice job.

Does that rain cap keep the government from spying on your Egg? :)

-John
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I have cooked brisket that way a few times. I coat in rub and sugar overnite. Then rub the next day.

brisket9602.jpg

73brisket3.jpg

Mike