Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin question

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 5 pound loin to cook for late afternoon / early evening eating. The loins we've done have come out tasting great, but my wife likes them with a crispier outside than we've been getting. Anyone got any advice as to how I can get a better crust on a loin?[p]Your assistance is most appreciated.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]Some people coat their loins with yellow mustard before applying the rub. This creates a nice crust. Believe it or not, you wont even taste the mustard in the finished product.
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Fraser,[p]We use mustard when we do ribs, and that works great. I didn't know if that would work to make a crust on a loin. Would you recommend direct heat on the raised grid or indidrect heat with a plate setter and drip pan?
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Raised grid direct is the way I like them. 350°dome till 145° internal and let rest for 10 minutes or so.
    Turn every 10 to i5 minutes til done.
    I just use a thermapen instant read to check temp while I'm turning them. Good stuff.
    Bob

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Painter,[p]Thanks painter. I appreciate it. I'll let you know how it turns out...
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Painter,[p]I'm new with the egg (got it in june). When you say raised grid and direct, do you mean no drop pan?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I would do indirect heat with a raised grid and a drip pan.

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    mark backer,
    No drip pan.
    Bob

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]At 350 elevated over direct heat, The loin took about 1.5 hours to hit 160, which I thought was fast. However, it didn't have any out crust to it at all. So I took out the grid extender and put it over direct heat for 10 min per side, and it was better, but still not a great crust. The meat is still astoundingly moist, so I don't think that I'm missing by far. [p]Any ideas would be welcome. Wife nagging me about my inability to make pork loin to her satisfaction.
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Fraser,[p]Okay. You got a time and temp on that roughly? I am willing to try anything. The meat has just been sampled (devoured) by my parents and they love it, but their statement was "regardless of what the outside looks like, it's amazing." [p]Would love to have less buts with my meals...