Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to keep from burning a gasket

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 780
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
if one is to use high temp 500 or so - how do you keep from burning the gasket

this summer is going to be the "how to cook a pizza" summer at he toad hole

thanks

mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    install a Nomex.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Either replace the OEM gasket with a Hi-Temp one ,OR let er burn and Fuggetaboutit!They REALLY are usless. ;) IF your dome and base are alighned correctly.
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Not that I know anything, or maybe just lucky, but 500 dome hasn't been a problem for my 4 year old medium egg. Have done steaks at much higher, and gotten away with it. Knock on wood...
  • Abe Froman
    Abe Froman Posts: 95
    Options
    Its impossible. I always thought I was too slick for it to happen to me. Like everyone was screwing up or something.
    A flare up from a couple burgers humbled me.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Rodney...if you aint burnt a gasket yet..it's a pretty safe bet that cookin pizzas now wont make any difference given the age of your eggs..enjoy the pies...
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    mr toad wrote:
    if one is to use high temp 500 or so - how do you keep from burning the gasket

Burn it off in one high heat, and you will never have to worry about it again. Finally had my small gasket melt off today using it for pizza the first time. Now its charred bits like the large next to it. Too bad it threw some funky smoke off while burning.