Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Followed rib directions but ribs are dried out. Cook ribs for 4 hrs at 200-250. Boiled some before cooking and did not boil some before cooking but ribs kinda dry. These are country ribs, not baby-back.

Comments

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    Well tell us a little more about how you cooked them. [p]Boiling ribs is never a good thing when Qing.
    It takes all the fat out and there is nothing left to tenderize or make the meat juicy. [p]Follow JSlots method for ribs. It's the best I know of.
    Look under the recipe section.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Andrew G. Freeman, MD,
    Dry ribs are usually a sign of undercooking. At 250 indirect, they need 5-8 hours. When the collagen breaks down, it turns to a moist gelatin, and combined with the rendered fat creates a moist rib. But it takes time. A passable result can be had with higher temps and shorter times....like JSlots 350 will give you good results in the time you had them on the cooker. [p]Just my gut, but give it a go again and allow 6 or 7 hours.
    Moist reebs toya!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Sorry, Andrew...forgot to mention. Other temps between 225 and 350 dome work well to, and give you times between 3 and 8 hours. Hotter cooks will create a different texture of ribs than lower cooks. Foil can be introduced into the equation. Lots of possibilities. Keep at it, and you'll find the texture that works for you.[p]Yell if you have any more questions!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Unknown
    Options
    StubbyQ,
    I know boiling is not good, but those were the most tender - just fell off the bone but the outside is crunchy and dry and the thinner end peices of the rack were bone dry. Anyway, used a Memphis dry rub. left them overnignt in fridge. Next day lit BGE (I have the LARGE one) got the temp to 225-250 put the ribs on for 4 hrs. on the flat rack fliping each hour and basting with an oil, beer, lemon juice and dab of steak sause mixture. I like the JSlots method, but is it a pain to take apart the BGE to place the grill under the fire ring every time you want to cook ribs? Also with the 18½" weber grate fit the LARGE BGE?

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    Yes, the Weber 18 1/2 grill will fit the large BGE.[p]Have you tried the 3-1-1 method?
    It works pretty good.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Andrew G. Freeman, MD,[p]My friends here are missing your last sentence. Country ribs are not the same as other ribs. They are more like pork chops and don't do well long cooked. If you want ribs, but spare ribs or baby back ribs.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Bonehead.jpg
    <p />drbbq,
    Wow, Ray. You are right. Dang. I did a quick drawing to describe how I feel.
    Vacation is coming up quick.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Mornin' Andrew,
    Bonehead here.
    Just thought I might give a stab at actually providing the info you asked for. Follow the link for some info I put together on Country Ribs.[p]Sorry for the misleading post!
    Chris

[ul][li]Country Ribs Explained[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • drbbq
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Wow!! You are a talented artist.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    drbbq,
    Thank you. It is my finest drawing ever of a bonehead.[p]Where have your adventures taken you this weekend?
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • drbbq
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Well I was in Kansas City Wednesday and I'm headed to Nebraska next week but I had to swing through Durham, NC for a few days. This is ridiculous even by my standards.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    A. Freeman, if you have plate setter just put the legs up and the ribs in a r. rack on top of the grid on top of p.setter and you are set to go with JSlots method. He did em like that before a plate setter.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    A. Freeman, e.mail me, and try "MY' method and you don't have to mess with the fire ring. 300 degrees, 3 hours...and your done..Baby backs of course.
    Your killing your ribs with too much attention.
    C~W[p]

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I gonna give this a try have you tried the indirect approach yet?[p]Scott