Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dinner's on!!

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
got a spatchcock's yardbird with zatar and sweet-tater planks with pineapple head rub going on the large. .. and artichokes steaming on the stove...gonna be a good dinner.. . actually taking some pics so i'll have some to post in a little while!! . . ..

Comments

• Jayeffel
    Jayeffel Posts: 13
    Options
    Drat! ! Can't join ya, just got back from Taco Bell. :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Max do you use an adjustable rig?

The reason i'm asking is because I recently started to use my new AR cooking some legquarters 350° direct and high in the dome. Now here is the point i'm getting at. The other day I put a pan of sliced potatos with onions and other goodies in there...under the bird and it changed the way the chicken cooked. It turned the cook into an indirect cook instead. The potatos were very good but my bird did not come out as nice and crispy and done as I like. I was just wondering how you do your bird with a side dish in there. Tim

000_1887.jpg
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Alrighty Max, bout time for some pics. Thx for comments on FB.

Mike
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Were the potatoes precooked ?

Looks good and I bet it tasted great.

Gary
    :side: My daughter wanted a face. She chose this one.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    any time you stick a pan between your food and your heat source you have created an indirect cooking atmosphere, so yes, its going to cook differently and give you different results....its not the veggies, its the pan itself....plus, the liquid in the pan is adding moisture and steam, so that makes it harder to get crispy skin. .. .

look at my post later tonight to see how i did the sweet tater planks with my spatched chicken. .. .it was done indirect... .
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Gary, The potatoes were not precooked. If I remember correctly I started them first then after 20 minutes or so I put the chicken on. As far as the potatoes go they may have cooked 90 minutes or so and they did come out very good but be careful because the the butter in the pan started to cook away. Tim