Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Survey. how many Bags of Lump

Options
stevesails
stevesails Posts: 990
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so. How many bags of Lump do you keep on hand? I ran out last night. and didn't have enough to get a hot fire, that wont happen again.
XL   Walled Lake, MI

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I usually keep 3-5 bags. I just polished off my second to last bag over the weekend, and am uncomfortable with only one on hand. :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I get paranoid when I get down to only 360 pounds on hand and run out like a junkie and get a fix! Last time that happened this Spring I ended up with 660 pounds! I even keep a reserve stash in my trunk that my wife doesn't know about! :woohoo:
    IMG_0507.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Some keep a pallet or more, I'm usually using one, with 2 in reserve.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I generally keep about 30, 10 lb bags on hand. If it sits too long, I will have a lot of diamonds!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Being space limited... We keep one "spare" on hand and another is the "open" bag.

We'll usually buy two bags at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    stevesails,

I buy 20 bags at a time and refresh when I am down to two I keep it in my shop lately because the garage is full and I take a couple of bags home each week. Funny you should ask this because I was on my last bag at home and it got rained on. Took forever to get rid of the grey smoke.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Stevesails, you are going to find out like i did that there are a lot of people on here that cook a ton of meat and use a lot of lump, but i think if you are a weekend warrior you should keep at least 2 bags on had. also it depends on what you are cooking.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    When I get down to one remaining unopened bag, I buy 4 more. So I generally have 1-5 unopened bags.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I usually buy 5-7 bags (10#) when I get low, but them I live less than 2 miles from my Wally World source. :ohmy:
  • eagin
    eagin Posts: 15
    Options
    I typically have one open bag and one spare... it just happens that my current bags are the 40 lb. bags of Frontier that Sam's sells, but I'd do that with the 10 lb bags of Royal Oak, too...
  • Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    Options
    I keep 4 bags out by the grill and I have this for backup.
    100_1104.jpg
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    Wow, I ran out over the weekend after cleaning the egg and dumping the rest of my first bag. I knew I wasn't going to egg for a few days so I haven't bothered to restock... Are you guys stocking 5, 10, 20... lb bags? I think the big bag of BGE lump I got was 20lbs. Was thinking of hitting the dealer for another on the way home today.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    i just looked at the stack. Got 6 wicked good and 5 BGE
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    If you have a Wal Mart nearby AND they carry the USA Royal Oak lump, it is the same as the BGE lump and almost 1/2 the price. Only comes in 10# bags, though.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My nearest source only sells 5 lb bags of Cowboy at a ridiculous price. So I have a long drive to a big box store to get a quantity at a reasonable price. I stock up. And, I like different brands for different purposes. Or just to try out. And then there's the special order Wicked Good.

So, at least 150 lbs., in 4 - 5 varieties. At the start of winter, when supplies get low, I've usually got about 200 lbs, just in case...
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    I live in an apartment with very limited storage space, so I can only keep one or two bags on hand in the corner of my kitchen. I just make a point of knowing how much I have available between what's in the egg & what's in the bag and pick up more when I'm reaching the end of the open bag.

BTW, I'm currently 2 cooks into a 40# bag of the Frontier lump that I got for $14.27 at Sam's club and I'm happy with it so far.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I live very near a Plubix Supermarket, so I only keep 3-4 10# bags on hand. For anyone that is unaware, Publix "Greenwise" lump charcoal is Royal Oak. It is not a full ten lb bag, about 9lbs actually.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Kenny, I wondered how that "cheapie" Sam's Frontier would do. Glad to know it's acceptable.
  • maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    I usually keep 3 to 5 bags. Been thinking I should buy a pallet next time B)
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    Yeah, where do you get this "Wicked Good" stuff I have heard so much about?
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    Is there a non "USA Royal Oak" that I should be steering clear of? Wonder how many Wal-Mart folks I will have to talk to on this phone call to find one that knows anything about what I'm talking about, and two can speak some form of the English language...
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    There is an Argentine RO and maybe some other South American versions. People on here have complained those wood spark way too much.

All I've ever seen at my Wally World is the USA. Written, I think, near the bottom of the bag. I think the bags are otherwise very similar in appearance and can be "tricky".

Good luck with WM people trying to help you... :ohmy:
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    I guess my Wal-Mart does stock the RO charcoal. I'll stop there instead of getting the more expensive BGE brand. Oh, and it took 4 different employee's and three calls (got hung up on twice) just to find that out :angry: ! Gotta love Wal-Mart (In NoVa) :woohoo: !!!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I just bought 2 pallets of Ozark Oak last week.120,10 lb bags.I was down to less than 10 bags on hand.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    LOTS And LOTS..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    im down to my last bag, i feel comfortable with a couple pallets worth though :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    I am not that far from a store with year round supply of Maple Leaf lump. I usually buy 2 bags at a time and will always replenish before I open the last bag. Right now, there are 3 in the garage.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    You may have seen the emails with WalMart people (actually is a web site). Well Saturday I snapped this shot in our local WM. Check out the wig on the girl with the purple shirt. At first we were SURE it was dyed hair, but later were pretty sure it was a wig.......

photo-2.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I like to have 5 to 10 bags on hand. Tim
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    I currently have 260lbs on hand.....but I could use some more :P