Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Officially a KCBS judge

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I took a class to become a judge for KCBS bbq competitions. It was a ton of fun - I recommend it if there are any classes near you.

I'm going to take the PNWBA class when it comes around as well.

The chicken we tasted in class was awesome - best I have ever tasted.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    You going to be able to eat that much if you judge? ;) I had some of the best pulled pork yesterday at the Belton contest. A lot of talented cooks out there.

Mike
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Oh, I can pack it away!

They cautioned us to pace ourselves and only take one or two bites of each entry.

We practice-judged about half as much as we would at a competition. I did not feel sick or throw up or anything! I think I can do it.

I think I can I think I can I think I can...
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Howdy Gwen,

Too bad the people in your neck of the woods have killed off the KCBS in favor of local sanctioning.

We love to travel up the coast to compete but there aren't any KCBS contest to speak of. I hear they have a big one in Seattle this year though with a decent pay-out...you judging that one?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I don't know anything about the politics between the two orgs or how the competitions even come into being.

I was first told there was going to be a comp the weekend of 5/29 and was all ready for that, but now I find out it's 5/22 and we'll be at my oldest son's college graduation that weekend.

I don't know of any other KCBS comps in this area after that one, so I'll have to wait for next year. I hope to do some PNWBA comps.

This year we have a college and a high school senior graduating so things are a little crazy here from now til the end of June. Next spring and summer I'll have more flexibility I think.

I have a lot of family in Calif, so hopefully I'll come down and do some in that area as well in the future.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Congrats Gwen. :woohoo:

Hoss and i got certified as KCBS judges in January. He has already judged a couple and we both may be judging one on May 22.

It sure helps if you ever want to compete...

Hoss suggests bringing a small cooler and baggies for the leftovers. :)
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    They told us about the baggies and cooler even before we got to the class!

I won't ever compete mainly because I'd have no way of transporting my egg and it's the only bbq/grill I have.
    It just seems like a fun thing to do and maybe I'll pick up some bbq'ing pointers along the way, like how to make chicken!