Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump ?

Options
fieroguy
fieroguy Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just tried my first bag of Cowboy and found it to burn a lot hotter than R.O. which is all I've used for the past 3 years. I can get it for $12.99/20# bag (incl. tax).

Is this a good deal???

Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    That's pretty standard for Cowboy, both in terms of performance and price. I save my R.O. for l0-n-slo, and Cowboy for quick cooks, like burgers and brats.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    That is about what Ace charges for it.

I recently bought 4 20 lb. bags of Frontier for $10 per, had never used it before, wished I had gotten more, it seemed to be quit a lot better than when TNW reviewed it.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I have plans to do a new review for the new Frontier in the next month or so...
    The Naked Whiz
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I have tried one 20# bag of Cowboy but didn't find any reason to give up Royal Oak for it. I don't do pizza's or T-Rex so don't need a lot of high heat. My medium egg will get up to 700º with out breaking a sweat with Royal Oak. I get Royal Oak at Wally World for about that price, $6.37/10#. My change up lump is Viva Pancho 100% Mesquite Charcoal. The mesquite lump is much milder than mesquite smoke wood. It has a very pleasant flavor and I think burns as well as any other hardwood charcoal, maybe just a little harder and slower to light. It's great for steaks.

Gator

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    The pieces were good size and it didn't spark much.
    $10.00 for 20 lbs. was a steel. I liked it.
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    I use it quite frequently but now I'm using the frontier brand from sams which is half it's price and is overall been good so far