Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Forgiving Egg

Options
Swagit
Swagit Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've always wanted an "Egg", and picked one up on e-Bay. Priced right, looked good. I know, I know, start with "yard bird" until you are familiar with the basics. However, for our glorious 4th,this newbie prepared babybacks as described by many of the gurus on this site (French's and Dizzy Dust).
Long hours, and late nights found me calibrating my thermometer on Saturday night. Murphy strikes!, she's broken! $30 worth of ribs, and my bride ain't gonna take no excuses.
Sunday,- noon, after mowing, so the neighbors stop throwing rocks at my truck, got the BGE charcoal going with 2 1/2 fists (dry) of Hickory (electric start). Have no idea of the temp, but have 1/2" on the intake, and 1/4" on the daisy wheel. Indirect, plate setter, aluminum drip pan, V-rack.
After one hour, looking perfect! 2 hours, starting to dry out. Wrapped in aluminum foil(individual)with coating of generic BBQ sauce.
After 1 hour, removed, were beautiful! Now this idiot realizes he doesn't have suitable gloves to remove plate setter for the direct. No problemo! Quick mop of generic BBQ, Italian dressing, regular Coors, and Cholula (hot sauce). 1 hour, flipping and mopping every 15 minutes, they is done!
4 hours, and "She who must be obeyed" proclaimed them to be the best ribs she ever had. That's success in my household. Thank you all!![p]P.S. Changed my gasket and added a new spring-assist band. Use a cheap utility knife, and don't skimp on the blades! I used 4 blade chnges per gasket. A rapid sawing motion worked for me; but please be aware of where your other hand is located while "sawing"! [p]David[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Swagit,
    from your description, it sounds like, while new to the egg, you are new to a rack of ribs. . ..good job. . .one thing i picked up though, you said you used 2 1/2 fists of charcoal (i guess). . .you should always fill your egg up to at least the top of the fire ring, regardless of whether you are grilling a couple of burgers for 10 minutes or going over night (in which case you will want to go half way up the fire ring as well). . .don't worry about being wasteful as when you shut down the egg, it will snuff quickl and you will have leftover lump to start the next fire. .. [p]enjoy. . .

• Swagit
    Swagit Posts: 7
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,I truely respect your standing in this community. I filled my fire box + with BGE. The 2 and 1/2 chunks of hickory were only for flavor.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Swagit,
    i gotcha... .i missread your thing. .. i thought you had put in 2 1/2 fists of whatever, total. .. .like i said, it sounds like you are well on your way. . .welcome to the cult, er, club, er cult. . .heck, welcome. . .