Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket Prep - Suggestions?

Options
Smokin Bob
Smokin Bob Posts: 239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
brisket1
<p />OK, this is my 1st attempt at a brisket. This one weighs in at 11.5 lbs, is 20" long by 9" wide and is 4" thick at the thickest part and 1 1/2" thick at it's thinnnest part.[p]Is there need to trim any of it? As you can see quite a bit of fat on top.[p]My plan is to rub it down and let her sit in the fridge overnight.[p]Am I on the right track?[p]Hope the images come up (1st attempt as well)...[p]B o B

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Smokin BoB,
    That is a beauty. I'd leave that fat on top. That big ol' hunk over on the left aint gonna doya no good, so I'd get rid of some of that. Any globs thicker than 1/2 inch usually get the knife for me.[p]You might also consider notching the brisket on the end of the flat so you can mark which way the grain is going....you'll want to slice the final product against the grain, and it is easier to see now. I usually cut the very tip of the thin end off square with the grain. and my final slices are the same direction. [p]Just some thought anyways. You can rub it up an hour or two in advance and it'll be good. Overnight sure won't hurt anything.[p]Just a few idears! It's a beef day here as well, with ribeyes goin' on tonight! Happy 4th.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]In reference to cutting off part of the left side...Does the thickness need to be consistent throughout?[p]Thank you -