Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

non-Trex Anonymous :)

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since others have admitted this in a recent thread, my name is Steve and I don't use the Trex steak grilling method. There, I said it! :)[p]I've tried it, and I really can't tell the difference between that method and a regular sear and dwell. And my steaks never get sweaty.[p]I've actually been searing at slightly lower temps lately (around 600). I find that the nuclear level sear sometimes burns the steak. Sometimes I dwell the steak in the Egg and sometimes I dwell it on a plate in the kitchen.[p]Like others have said, no offense meant to our esteemed member, but I have a different preferred method.

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Ok, I may as well hop in too. I cannot tell the difference either. I find it more difficult to determine the "doneness" of the meat, because of the fact the meat continues to cook during the resting stage. Plus, it takes longer. I always tend to embrace the KISS principle.[p]Oh well, to each their own. And really - no disrespect. If it works for ya, keep doin it!
  • Unknown
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Same here. The old 'sear and dwell' works for me.
    (...but then again, I smoke ribs @ 225 for 5 hrs, flipping once at 2.5 hrs, (on a medium, no less!) so what do I know.)

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    All you guys suck and I'm leaving this forum!!![p]JUST KIDDING![p]No offense taken at all, believe me. To each his or her own, I always say. I found a method that I really like, so I shared it with the forum. It's by no means the only method that produces a great steak. Besides, once you start with a great piece of Prime beef, it's hard to screw it up on the Egg anyway.[p]Beers and nonsweaty steaks,[p]TRex
  • Unknown
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, do all you dwellers have thermopens??? I tend to believe that there are two reasons that TRex method is favored for some 1) we find it easier to judge doneness because it is just a lot more forgiving (when that nice piece of meat is sitting in there at 600 or more you betta not let it sit very many "seconds" too long) and 2) steaks can use some smoke sure, but a lot is not needed and may take away from the steak flavor...having said that with a thermopen you really shouldn't have a prollium on the TRex getting to exact temp but even with the thermopen with the dwell you might try to check and it be too late.

• cuppy
    cuppy Posts: 12
    Options
    TRex, HA! HA! Loved that 1st line. but i tried the T-REX Method and they were great then a few days later I tried searing then closing off vents for another 6 or 7 min and they were still good! The EGG must have been sent by God! When Egging steaks I think the old saying " patience is a virtue" goes right out the thought process and replaced by Damn, these egged steaks are good! I think some of us just can't wait to dig in.
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    Chet,[p]No, I don't have a thermapen. I never check the temperatures of steak when I grill them. I just go by instinct and feel (Poke the steak. If it's somewhat firm it should be ready). Sometimes they come out undercooked, but I can just put them back in the Egg for more dwelling if I need to.[p]One thing I like about the Trex method is I can start my vegetables while the steak is resting.
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    I prefer the method as it weaves in with my menu more often than not. Steaks come off a sear for a little break where the remainder of my meal is prepared up until the point where the steaks hit the grill for those few final minutes.[p]Presto! Everything is done at the same exact time!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, i like the whole trex process. it alows for the drinking of three beers to complete correctly. for most types of steak it probably doesnt matter, but for very thick t bones and and for my favorite (steak) 2 bone in prime rib, t rex is mandatory. i just enjoy the whole process.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I thought I was the only one. It feels nice not to be all alone.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    heresay i say, HERESAY!!!. . ..trex is more than a method, its a religious way of life. .. all you non-believers should be tied to steaks (i mean stakes), seared for 90 seconds per side, then left to rest for 20 minutes while us true believers quaf a beer and dance to your eminent demise. . .then after 20 minutes, we let you roast on your stakes till dead. . .DEAD I TELL YOU HHHAHAHAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAA. . .and then the true believers will eat their trexed steak and dance. ..yes DANCE, on your heathen graves. .. . HHHHAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAA[p]but do what you want to do. .i don't care ;-)

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    max, my friend, sometimes you scare me. :)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    that's ok, my kids say the same thing "gee dad, you're scaring us". . .never let the kids know you are really afraid of them. . .. heeeeee

• TRex
    Options
    You're hilarious, Max. Frightening - but hilarious.[p]Thanks for the endorsement, by the way. [p]Here's to resting (which was mostly invented so one can enjoy a nice cold beverage),[p]TRex
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    hehe, just havin a little fun. . .but man, since i started doin em this way, i sure can't see doing them any other way. .. .

• Saucy Sue
    Saucy Sue Posts: 79
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, I think that sometimes the simple way of doing things is the best. I tried the TRex way and it was fine but too much work. They come out just as well with a quick sear and and nice dwell. Mine come out great, juicy and medium rare every time. They have never been soggy.

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    I'm sticking with Trex. Why? Because I was there when he demonstated it at Texas Eggfest 2004. I'm telling you I have never tasted a steak that good before and my Dad was a professional chef and he could really cook.[p]Even Texas Saltgrass, the best steakhouse anywhere, doesn't hold a candle to his steaks. (IMHO)[p]Not only that, but his method makes perfect sense if you think about it. The rest is important cause it's a muscle. Contraction and relaxation go hand in hand with muscles.[p]That's wat I like about this Forum. You can agree to disagree. Ain't it great![p]Trex-who loves ya man?
  • WilliamH
    WilliamH Posts: 57
    Options
    The TRex method was heading to the big time. Networks were just about to break the news of the revolutionary way to cook a steak. Then one day someone posted his picture on the forum. He is a punk skinny kid! Someone wrecked his career before he had a chance of making a name in this business. :)
  • TRex
    Options
    StubbyQ,[p]Thanks, man. I appreciate your vote of confidence. Looking forward to seeing you again at the next Texas Eggfest![p]TRex
  • WilliamH
    WilliamH Posts: 57
    Options
    I really have to work on my delivery. This was intended to be a joke. I enjoy the TRex method. From the first time I heard about it, I had this image in my head of who this institution of TRex might be. I saw this old gritty guy, in overalls, maybe in his 70's. Then someone posted a picture of TRex. I was shocked![p]TRex, Thanks for your contribution.