Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why does my chicken and turkey get so dark?

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Lately, when I cook chicken and turkey it turns dark on the skin, almost black. Is this because I am using to much cherry and pecan wood? My drip pan is under the chicken and catching the drippings but the birds do not taste acrid or bitter. Should I put water in the pan to be on the safe side? I am cooking great tasting food but the black color is offputting. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

How are you cooking it?

Flavor wood will have different colors as will heat.

How high in the dome food is cooked will also have some difference.

If you like the taste and texture why worry?

Turkey cooked at 345°
    turkey.jpg

Chicken cooked at 400°
    chick400.jpg

Chicken cooked at 500°
    chick500.jpg

All cooked to 165° breast and both were very moist and flavorful.

GG
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    HIL
    Smoke and "rub" will cause the outer surface to darken... are you using anything with sugar for a rub or basting? are you using stick-wood or store-bought wood?
    Kent Madison MS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The cherry will turn it dark. That is a good thing to me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BBQMaven
    Options
    Mickey,
    Are you using chips, chunks, or "stick wood" from trees?
    Kent Madison MS
  • I have a silly question-- I know the diffrence between chips and chunks but what is "stick wood", I use a lot of my own cherry and apple wood as I have an orchard but I have never heard of stick wood before. Thanks, Bucky Buckshot
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    that's what I'm referring to - wood picked up or cut from trees... some people debark (like store bought) and other use it with the bark on it... I'm told the "bark on" tends to darken the color of the meat
    Kent Madison MS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I use chip on chicken and turkey so as to not have to much. A little goes a long way on chicken and turkey.
    Store bought...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BBQMaven
    Options
    do you use sugar in your basting or rub?
    Kent Madison MS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    cherry wood does that, other thing can contribute but cherry wood adds color. i like pecan pellets with turkey, its the only cook i use pellets with and a container lasts years. the pecan pellets add a nice light smoke taste, adding cherry makes the smoke stronger tasting. guava wood is my other choice with poultry
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I suspect it's the wood. Cherry really does seem to darken meat more than most. Try one with just the lump and see if you notice a difference.

I use a little apple on my chicken, but don't put the meat on until the wood has been on for at least 30 minutes. You might be surprised how much smoke flavor you get from the lump alone.

Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    no wood chunks or chips, let your lump burn in longer, ash over and might try opening the top daisy wheel more and bottom slider less.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    I always put a light coating of EVOO or other cooking oil on bird before seasoning. Cook about 325 and skin always comes out golden brown. Sorry, no pictures to show but give it a try and see how it works for you. Good luck. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    If you are cooking whole chickens/turkeys, try covering with aluminum foil as soon as it starts to brown. That way you'll get a nice golden color instead of the dark, dark brown. I use a lot of pecan with poultry and have noticed a darker color than I get from the oven. However, tenting with foil seems to keep it pretty instead of burnt looking.