Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Legs

Options
PapaQ
PapaQ Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning to do a whole turkey this weekend, but in my neck of the woods turkeys only come with two legs. This often leads to mild squirmishes around the platter when the bird is served. Any suggestions about doing extra legs?[p]Thanks for your help.[p]Paul

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    PapaQ,

I have tried this recipe (from Allrecipes.com)for extra turkey legs while BBQ'ing a turkey on my ceramic cooker. Pretty tasty and easy to do.
    1 (2 liter) bottle lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons hot sauce
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 large sweet onion, sliced
    4 turkey legs
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon steak seasoning

1 Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil grate.
    2 In a large pot, mix the lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage, sugar, hot sauce, red pepper, pepper, and onion. Place the turkey legs in the mixture, and bring to a boil. Cook 30 to 45 minutes, until the turkey has reached an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (80 degrees C).
    3 Remove onion slices from the mixture, and arrange on the prepared grill. Place turkey legs over the onions. Drizzle with honey, and season with steak seasoning. Cook, turning once, 20 minutes, or until a crisp browned crust has formed on the turkey legs.

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    PapaQ,
    This is what I do to legs - they remind me of the smoked turkey legs you get at Disney World or fairs and carnivals that come to town.[p]Soak in a brine of the following for 1 day.
    1 gallon of water; 1 cup of kosher salt; 3 1/2 oz pickling spice - heat until salt is disolved, pull from cook top and add in 1/4 cup of honey and stir. Let cool, add in the legs and let soak for a day (12 hours min).[p]Rinse and pat dry - scraping away remaining pickling spices.[p]Set up & cook indirect at 250* - use only apple wood chips/chunks for flavor, smoke until the largest leg reaches 180*-185*. If you are concerned about moisture you can spritz with apple juice every hour or so. It takes a few hours, but they are great. A Family Favorite!!! Joe

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    PapaQ,
    Thanks for the suggestions. More legs=more smiles.[p]Paul