Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen broken

Options
JPF
JPF Posts: 592
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was doing some chicken thighs this afternoon and pulled out my trusty thermapen that has never been wet or dropped and it is ready crazy! Chicken thighs were reading 300F and never would settle on a temp just keeps moving. Boiling water is in the 365f range but never would stop on a temp just keeps moving. No idea on why it has gone bad it's a couple years old and I have taken real good care of it. Well guess I will order a new one to replace it. Has anyone ever sent one in for repairs? I am not sure if they even do repairs or if it's worth the cost/trouble. Then I will have a spare next time. Thanks for any input. Have a nice weekend all

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

A lot of people have sent them in for repair. Takje a minute and call Amber at Thermoworks and explain the problem.

They are still open for another 1/2 hour and have a toll free number.

She may advise you to take it apart and use alcohol.

Some reports of the cost to repair were very low.

GG
  • JPF
    Options
    thanks for the info I gave her a call and talked about it some. She said to pull the bat and let it stay out for a hour and if it keeps acting up to call back for a repair ticket. I had already pulled it out and put it back in to see if it reset it but it hadn't made a change. I took the screws out and blew some air over the pcb and put it back together and it's back working fine now. I don't know what was up with it but if it does it again I will go ahead and send it in for repairs. Thanks again for your help and Amber is a really nice lady. Jon
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Your problem is most likely moisture on the circuit board.

If you end up having to take it apart again or if you want to clean it anyway, get a q-tip and soem 91% alcohol. Clean the circuit board with alcohol and let it dry. If there is any white residue clean that up and another alcohol cleaning. Also, if there are any slide in connectors, ribbon type with copper/gold edges clean those edges also. Take care pulling them out and putting them back in.

I have a hand held ham radio that has a display problem. About $200 to have it fixed or 99¢ worth of alcohol and q-tips and 30 minutes time. Some circuits seem to oxidize.

Glad you posted, I am having an odd problem with my stoker pit probe and the alcohol on the board in the plug just may fix that also.

Glad you got it working, Amber and Thermoworks in general are really great with helping folks out.

Kent
  • JPF
    Options
    LOL I got two kenwood ts 430s that I take apart and clean the contacts every year to keep them operating properly. I didn't see any oxidation inside the thermapen but some contact clean never hurts. Thanks
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thinking of selling the TH-79a and getting 2 newer kenwoods or yeasu's V series. Any thoughts on either?

KC7XQ

GG
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Just as an aside. Sometimes when the battery is dying it will give those symptoms. Also the moisture deal. A great way to deal with the moisture is to take out the battery and put the thing in a ziplock full of rice. The rice sucks out the moisture and you'll usually end up with a functional thermapen (or cell phone) in a couple days. See, carbs are good for something.

mShark
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    What is a PCB and why would blowing on it work?
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Printed Circuit Board, inside everything electronic, if the get wet they don't work. Blowing on them at least moves the water around if not drying it out.

Doug
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I sent mine in John, they have great customer service. My wife and son in-law got it wet I sent it in they fixed and re-calibrated it for cheep

Ross
  • JPF
    Options
    Thanks good advice there! I should replace the battery anyway I think it's the original one. I will have to keep the rice trick on my mind next time my wife drops here phone in water. It's been in the toilet and the tub now. Both times I have taken it fully apart and let dry overnight before putting the battery back in. Thanks have a great day Jon