Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of Round on the Egg

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I was in Sam's Friday and found a Choice Angus 4.98 pound Eye of the Round for $12.60. That night I did some research and found many ways of cooking it. Some cook them high heat, quickly, others cook them low heat and slow. Everyone agrees that it is a tough cut of meat. As far as I can figure all your tough cuts get cooked low and slow to break up the connective tissues. So I opted for low and slow. First I nuked it for a minute and a half to take some of the refrigerator chill off it. Next I studded it generously with 2 bulbs of garlic. A cool way to make garlic easier to peal is to break down the bulb and trim the root ends off, microwave the cloves for about 10 seconds till they are just warm. If you go to long they get soft very quickly. I think the heat causes them to start emitting moisture which in turn loosens the skins and they are twice as easy to peal. After studding with garlic I injected with a mixture of :

4 T Worcestershire Sauce
6 T bacon drippings
2 T Kitchen Bouquet
1 t Sea Salt

I placed these four ingredients in a 1 pint jar with a tight lid and shook until it formed an emulsion, it could have doubled as a salad dressing, good stuff. I then rubbed it generously with Sea Salt, Black Pepper, granulated Garlic and Thyme. With that done I wrapped it in 1 pound of bacon and tied it up well. I had only used half my infection mixture so I injected it all over again this time through the bacon. I was surprised I was able to get all the mixture into the roast with out it leaking out all over the place. I cooked it indirect at about 230º till the internal temp was about 120º, about an hour and a half.

DSC_0874A_640.jpg

DSC_0877A_640.jpg

I let it rest for about 20-30 minutes and put it back in the refrigerator till today. I just had to try some so I took a slice off one end. Looked good! Tasted good!

DSC_0898A_640.jpg

They say if you refrigerate it over night it will be much easier to slice very thin. So that's what I did.

DSC_0974A_640.jpg

Once sliced I trimmed it of any excess fat, the bacon did not cook enough so it was sacrificial. The finished plate (plate included) weighs in at 4.6 pounds. Not bad!

Have a great day,

Gator

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    What a great looking pile of beef. Hoagie buns, yowzer.

Mike
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    What a nice way to start my sunday.........mmmmmmmmmm......Looks delicious my friend!!!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    That looks REAL nice!
    So, do you like the flavor (would you change anything?) and is it tender enough for you?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That is one pretty pile of meat!! Nice cook Blair!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Mike, the Hoagie buns sound awesome, with some sautéed mushrooms n' onions and some horseradish! I would be in Heaven. Unfortunately the carbohydrates will do just that, put me in Heaven. Hahahaha, diabetes. ;)

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Beli, it was a good experiment, I had never cooked a Eye of Round on the egg before. I would like to find the perfect roast beef and this cut is not bad. I will keep on experimenting, I know top rounds and bottom rounds make good roast beef too.

Gator

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Gator, you really aced the beef! :) Beautiful pics.

We missed you at the Sunshine fest. :(
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Potatoheads, the flavor is very good and sliced thin it is tender, perfect for sandwiches or some good gravy. Not over cooking went a long ways to making this really good roast beef. I have yet to figure out how much injecting benefits the roast. This has a lot of flavor and the juices stayed right where you want them, in the meat. Resting in the frig overnight probably helped there. Using bacon drippings in the injection may have helped such a lean cut of meat. For an Eye of the Round I would say that this is very good, I have seen how tough and dry they can be if over cooked. I need to try a few more cuts to see how they stack up to each other before I can declare my favorite roast beef. In the mean time my cooking skills are getting better at roasts and that helps too! ;)

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Molly, it was a good experiment for the weekend and was worth the effort. :cheer:

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Rebecca, thanks, the beef is good and a worth while step on my search for great roast beef.

I was sorry not to make the Sunshine Fest again this year, I have a lot of good friends here, on the forum, I would love to meet one of these days, yourself included. My budget doesn't lend itself to renting rooms in Florida, LOL, any time of year! That is also an awkward part of the state for me to get to. The Fest used to be held at the State Park in Ocala where there was camping, I thought that sounded like a great deal of fun. One of these years my budget has to improve and I will make it to a Fest. Some of the Fest out west sound more economical then Florida and would be a blast also. It's nice knowing that I can go to a Fest anywhere in the country and meet a lot of good friends! :)

Gator

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    GIMME SOME OF THAT MEAT! NICE PILE!
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Fred, I would love to share some but thats the good thing about living so far away, IT"S MINE!!! IT'S ALLLL MINE!!! (insert maniacal laughter here) HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blink: :huh:

Sorry, red meat cooked properly has that effect on me. :blush:

Gator

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I can smell those sammies all the way up here on the east coast. I'll just follow my nose and get there as soon as I can. :woohoo:
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I love eye of rounds for roast beef. Yours looks spectacular!

Here's a great horseradish gravy that I made for topping an open faced roast beef sandwich.

Horseradish Gravy
    2 Tbsp butter
    2 Tbsp flour
    1 1/2 cups beef stock
    1 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp prepared horseradish

Melt the butter over medium high heat. Whisk in the flour and continuously whisk until you get a dark roux.

Whisk in the beef stock. I'm guessing about the amount but just slowly add beef stock while whisking. At first the mixture will thicken, get clumpy, and make you think you screwed up. Keep adding broth and keep whisking and it will start to smooth out into a gravy.

Once you have it at the consistency that you want, whisk in the salt, pepper, and horseradish. Taste and re-season according to your preference and heat tolerance. I ended up taking mine to 2 tsp of horseradish.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Gator Bait
    Options

The sammies would be a dream come true Pat, either with sautéed shrooms and onions, a bit of horseradish OR on a fresh homemade sourdough bun with a good cup of Au Jus for dipping in French Dip style . . . then I wake up and I'm diabetic again. Thank God for our dreams! ;)

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Chris, good roast beef is about as good as it gets. A couple months ago I got to thinking how nice it would be to have a supply all cooked and on hand. I have a FoodSaver that protects anything that I put in the freezer very well so I gave it a shot. This is the best one yet, but then I'm getting better at cooking them also. Your gravy sounds super, I am bookmarking it for future reference, thank you very much.

Gator