Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Poor Small Egg

Options
BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I fired up the small the other day and cooked some brats. Black gooey stuff started oozing out the egg. :ohmy: Now I've had liquid ooze from my egg before but have never seen this black gooey stuff. The small is a mess as you can see from the picture. Any ideas how to clean off this sticky, messy stuff?

P1020908.jpg

P1020906.jpg

Cheers,

BeerMike
I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Man...that is one ugly egg dude.
    Spray some oven cleaner onto a rag, then wipe that crap off. (If that doesn't work, spray the egg and wipe it)
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    What is that; tar? I've seen this before but where does it come from????
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Bleed it out before cleaning it to much. Keep on burning until the ooze stops.
    It is accumulated soot from the inside. Not a real big deal.
  • Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    Options
    Hey Mike,

Do you think it was from when you have that nifty cheese smoking set-up? I was wondering if the condensation formed sort of a "liquid smoke" thing going on there. I think I've got tickets to the great taste of the midwest, did you score any yet?

Matt the Plumber
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    It may have been from all the cheese smoking. I know the dryer hose is always full of condensation.

No, I don't have tickets yet. Shoot me an email if you have some extra tickets.

Cheers,

BeerMike
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • ckcgnfshn
    ckcgnfshn Posts: 21
    Options
    Hello,

This is a combination of build up inside the egg and moisture that gets into to poors of the ceramic. You need to clean your egg. First thing, is to take out the internal components. Scrub everything down. What works best is crumbled foil to scrub everything down. You will also need to scrub the inside of the egg. Then, you need to put everthing back inside and fire it up to about 500 degrees for several hours. Let it burn everything out of the poors. I use a wet terry towel to wipe off the crap on the outside. Just let it cook until it stops oozing the stuff out. I let it cook for about an hour after it stops oozing. Because it is the moisture and the char from the inside of the egg. I have had to do this with both of my XL eggs a couple of times. I talked to the people at the BGE Factory and they said this is normal.

Let me know how it works out.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    take everything out and scrub it down? 500 degrees for several hours? Wow...overkill.

Mike,
    My egg has done this from time to time, but never on that scale. When it happens to me, it just wipes right off with a damp rag.

I haven't paid much attention to WHEN it happens, but it seems to be after a rain. I don't keep my egg covered.