Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Help.. fat side down or up

Options
BBQFan
BBQFan Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I put my butt on the egg, should the fatty side be facing down towards the lump or keep the fatty side on the top? Thanks..

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    i dont think it much matters, for what its worth the ones i cook have the fat removed which gives more bark. if this were a brisket, fat down
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    You just asked one of the oldest, most contentious questions in BBQ circles fwiw. My vote is DOWN...or removed all together before smoking. The fat up folks will tell you that the fat rendering helps keeps the meat moist.(I say greasy) Pick your poison. The fat down folks say bologna to that and that it protects the meat that would otherwise be unusable(dry & tough)on the bottom or on the grate.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    fat down and you get that crunchy mass to chew on that sticks to the grill. oh and the rub doesnt wash off the butt with thre dripping fat like it would if the fat was on top. to each there own
    fukahwee maine

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I usually throw those "crunchy masses" :sick: to the dogs, but if'n you really like 'em, I'll start saving them in the freezer for you and mail them when I have a few. :lol:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I trim all of the fat cap off, plenty of fat in a but so ya don't need the cap. IMHO

No fat cap, coat with mustard and a rub ya like. I like to wrap in saran and over night in the fridge but it's not a must. Enjoy. You will get a better bark without the fat cap/

Regards,
    Bordello
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ah thats the best part of the whole cook, get the butt wrapped and get back to the grill to clean it off :laugh: dog likes it too ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I always put it down.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    It does not matter.
  • danm79
    danm79 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a butt on right now with the fat up. I will let you know how it comes out in about 10 more hours. From what I have found it doesn't matter.