Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Misting bread with water, can it crack the egg?

Options
Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never heard of it happening, but am just a bit leery of spraying (misting, really) a little water into the egg to develop the crust better when bread baking
on a pizza stone.
I know using a hot water in a drip pan works too.
But when I do that, the bread doesn't seem to get that rich golden color that it does when steaming inside a dutch oven.
So I'd like to try misting, like commercial ovens do..
Anybody have any thoughts, one way or the other?
Thanks!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I'm not a bread baker but have watched Egret mist the loaves many times.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i use a turkey baster when my book tells me to mist the oven. i have not seen a recepie that says mist the bread. i would fins a soup can with no lining and place it somewhere in the egg.i am sure on a grate below your platesetter feet down, pizza stone configuration, would work then if you thought you needed more steam then add another soup can..

my best guess

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    I cook mine for 30 minutes (450) in a dutch oven with the top on, then another 5-15 with the top off, and the results are AMAZING. Keeping the lid on creates a steam oven for the initial cook, then when you take the top off, it allows it to crisp up.

Give it a try, trust me.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    What would be the difference between misting bread and misting ribs except for the temp difference?
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    Bente, my baking instructor at the local community college often times mists the loaves directly at her home. At school she uses the fancy programmable ovens that mist automatically, or at set times.
    She doesn't know about eggs, though, so I can't ask her about my fear of cracking the egg with the spray mist; those ovens are metal.
    I do like the D.O. method and have used the water in the tin can trick.
    I just want to try misting directly, but was a little worried.
    I'm starting to convince myself a teency bit won't hurt...
    I didn't know ribs get misted. That's not ever a problem? At what temp?
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    I've never heard of misting in an egg can potentially be a problem. Can it really crack the egg? I haven't tried misting in the egg myself yet but was planning to when I did ribs. I want to know before I start misting my ribs! :ohmy:

I've usually apple juice misted ribs (on a Weber kettle) every 30-60 minutes during the cook for flavor and to keep it moist. This is at temps of 250-300.
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    I thought misting was just to create a crisp crust. Does it have anything to do with browning??
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    If cooking pizza in a blizzard doesn't crack it, misting certainly shouldn't. :laugh:
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    No problem. You can use your Egg in the rain, so a little misting while bread baking won't hurt anything.
    The Naked Whiz
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Won't hurt a thing. I don't mist the egg itself due to the stuff that releases from the sides and top, but, I mist the bread directly usually 2 or 3 times in the first 10 minutes or so.....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive never misted but i have added water to a 500 degree pan and it steams like crazy. i set a paella up directly over the fire and put the heat mass above the pan. get it sizzling hot, add bread and pour water into pan and shut egg quickly. i dont make bread often, but i do like a good bread bowl B)

3ecd831d.jpg

054cb85d.jpg

286fa7ca.jpg

inherited my grandmothers dough box

1c4e01b4.jpg

100_1153.jpg

100_1156.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    THANK YOU SOOO much!!
    Several of you "nailed it", really answered my question!
    I feel...you've helped me a LOT, I now feel way bettter...

And Sharhamm you maybe right, I may have confused "browning" with "deeper crust"...

FISHLESSMAN, I enjoyed all those photos, butthose last 2 are especially interesting, the texture on the loaf, did you use a basket to do that?

Thanks to all!

These eggs are tough! Cold, rain, sleet, misting, nothing other than tipping them over seems to hurt them! :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    its layered stringers of dough glued together over an upsidedown s/s mixing bowl. found the recipe in this book, best beginner breadmaking book ive ever seen for a beginner who owns an egg. those two cooks were the first bread cooks ive ever done. its called beehive bread
    http://www.amazon.com/Bernard-Claytons-Complete-Book-Breads/dp/068481174X
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    Fishlessman, I reeeally owe you for that info!
    I just read half the reviews on that Amazon link you posted, and it is definitely the next baking book I will pick up. (buy!)
    3 days ago, I got Reinharts "The Bread Bakers Apprentice", so I'm busy with that, but really, that
    "New Complete Book of Breads" sounds absolutely fantastic!
    Thanks a ton!!! :)