Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In need of Country style Rib ideas

Options
Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok all you great chefs and cooks out there, i am looking for Ideas for country style ribs (boneless).
Looking for stew, soup, and one pot dishes, casseroles and so on.

I know how to BBQ them, now I just need help with some vision.

Please post the recipe if you have it with your idea as well .

Thanks and have a great day :)

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I use them in my spaghetti sauce. I put my home made meatballs, Italian sausage and country style ribs in a crockpot with my sauce and simmer it all day. :) The ribs just fall apart, kinda like pulled pork.
  • New egger myself, but the idea of cooking ribs down in your spaghetti sauce sounds quite tasty.
    SE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i did some beef brasciole this weekend but i think the real recipe uses pork but. did small little servings of eyeround thincut steaks with lemon, proscuito, roasted pine nuts, alot of basil, bread crumbs, grated romano, all rolled up into little sausage sized pieces and simmered for hours in sauce. i love the things, will definatly try it with those country butts ribs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Boneless Country Style would make for a great St. Patrick’s Day boiled dinner ;) .
    Cabbage, carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, garlic, dark beer and some spice (maybe Bay leaf, whole clove, pepper corns…) of choice.
    Cook it low and slow, enjoy the aroma for hours!
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Rick Bayless' Smoky Pork Tinga Tacos? I used country style ribs in place of the shoulder. Left out the white onion from the cook and instead made his pickled red onions to serve along with the avocado and queso fresco as an accompaniment:

Smoky Pork Tinga Tacos with Avocado and Fresh Cheese

Makes 10 to 12 servings

1 pound Yukon Gold or red-skin potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
    One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained (preferably fire roasted)
    3 to 4 canned chipotle chiles en adobo, seeded and sliced 1/4-inch thick
    1 tablespoon chipotle canning sauce (the adobo sauce)
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
    3 garlic cloves, peeled, and finely chopped
    1 medium white onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick, optional
    Salt

4 ounces Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed, optional

24 warm corn tortillas

1 cup crumbled Mexican queso fresco or feta cheese
    2 large avocados, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Spread the potatoes over the bottom of a slow-cooker and top with the pork cubes. In a large bowl mix the undrained tomatoes with the chipotles and the tablespoon of adobo sauce, Worcestershire, oregano, garlic, onion and 11/2 teaspoons salt. Pour the mixture over the meat and potatoes. Cover and slow-cook on high for 6 hours; the dish can hold on the slow-cooker's "keep-warm" function for 4 more hours or so.

When ready to serve, uncover the pork tinga and spoon off the fat accumulated on top. Fry the optional chorizo in an 8-inch skillet until thoroughly cooked, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle on the chorizo over the tinga then stir, breaking the pork into smaller pieces. Taste and season with added salt if needed.

To serve make soft tacos with the filling in the tortillas. Top with crumbled fresh cheese and avocados.

To warm the tortillas: Dribble 3 tablespoons water over a clean kitchen towel, then wrap cold tortillas in it. Slide the package into a microwaveable plastic bag and fold the top over — don't seal it. Microwave at 50 percent power for 4 minutes; let stand 2 or 3 minutes before serving. The tortillas (just 12 at a time) wrapped in a towel can also be steamed for a minute in a vegetable steamer; then let them rest for 10 minutes, wrapped, until ready to eat.

No slow-cooker? Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lay the pork in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven and top with the potatoes. Pour the tomato mixture over and cover. Bring to a simmer on top of the stove, then place in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours, until the pork is completely tender. Complete the dish as described.

Pickled Red Onions

1 small red onion, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
    1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
    1/4 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1/2 teaspoons dried mexican oregano
    2 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved
    1/4 teaspoon table salt
    1/3 cup cider vinegar

1. Blanch the onion slices in salted boiling water for 45 seconds. Drain and place in a bowl.
    2. Coarsely grind the peppercorns and cumin in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and add to the onions. Add the remaining ingredients plus enough water to barely cover. Let stand for several hours at room temperature until the onions turn pink and the flavors marry. Onions can be stored for two weeks in the refrigerator.

Makes 1 cup
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I like making pozole with them.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle