Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulling the pork question????

Options
BBQFan
BBQFan Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok.. well my butts have been on the egg for about 11 hours now. I have one 4.5 pounder and another 9.5 pounder on there. Dome temp all day has been 250 degrees but its been super windy (not sure if that means anything). Internal temp of the small butt is at 181 and I am guessing we have another few hours at best. Then we have to take them out and wrap them in foil and towel and put in the cooler for a couple hours, so I am thinking that they will not be even ready to be pulled until around 1 or 2am. My question is ... do they have to be pulled tonight or can I pop them in the fridge and pull them tomorrow?

Comments

• Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Kick your dome temp to 300° or so at this point and things will speed up a bit. If crunched for time, you can cut the rest to 30 min, but at least 1hr is better.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You don't have to use a cooler. I think I've only done that once when mine finished way too early. I usually just lay a piece of foil over a butt, and maybe a towel,to let it rest for 30 minutes or so and then pull. I always try to time it so I can pull when it's time to eat since I have yet to find a way to successfully reheat pulled pork. It just ain't the same!

If you are not going to eat it right away, hopefully you will have better luck than I've had with reheating it. Others around here seem to be perfectly content with reheated butt, but I am not among them. As for WHEN to pull, IMO, even if you aren't going to eat it then, I think you need to pull it while it's still warm, 30-60 minutes after you take it off the egg.

Good luck!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Also, yes you can pull later, but will need to reheat to about 160° or so internal to pull.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you can pull them tomorrow.

but if i were you i would let them rest for an hour then pull them and refrigerate...

the temp should go quicker than it has been going now that you should be out of the plateau...

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb