Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig day

Options
Doug in Eggmonton
Doug in Eggmonton Posts: 1,999
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got up early yesterday and put a 5 lb boneless pork shoulder on at 250, with a plan to slice it.

In the meantime we started making bacon. 4 slabs dry vacuum cured for 7 days and then cold smoked over apple using the soldering iron method is the plan. Here are all the slabs.

Shoulder001.jpg

And the nicest slab

Shoulder002.jpg

Just rubbed them with as much cure as they would take and sealed them with the food saver. Then out into the cooler.

Took the shoulder off at 180 which happened much sooner than I expected, less than an hour a lb so I wrapped it in foil and put it in a 175 oven.

In the meantime made zucchini gratin, which is sauteed sweet onion and garlic, under slices of zucchini, topped with slices of prosciutto all topped with panko crumbs, parmesan and fresh rosemary. Cooked in a 400 degree egg until the prosciutto is done. This is the only picture I got, just before adding the crust.

Shoulder003.jpg

When I went to slice the pork it basically fell apart.

Shoulder006.jpg

But it was nice and juicy

Shoulder007.jpg

Served with Insalata Caprese

Shoulder005.jpg

And on the plate.

Shoulder008.jpg

The lifted Kilt is a really rich sweet fully bodied 7.5% scotch ale. Three of those is like 5 regular, catches you by surprise :S. Limited run by my buddy Neil who owns a local microbrewery. If we ever get an Eggfest going here, Neil has agreed to host it at the brewery.

Doug

Comments