Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ET Maverick Food Probe-Is it bad?

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just put a 3 lb prime rib roast on the egg. Set up my Maverick ET-73. Disturbing problem. The food probe is reading the dome temp, not the meat temp. The probe is inserted into the meat all the way up to the hilt of the probe with only the angle of the probe sticking out. Is this probe fried already? I made a stupid mistake the first time I used it and tried to pull it out of the meat with a pair of tongs and pulled some of the sheathing off the wires next to the probe. Is that the problem.
I checked and made sure the right wires are plugged into the right holes.

I called the Maverick people to order a couple of new probes but they have closed already.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Yes I admit it, I am a sucker for toys I don't need that break and cost me even more than I paid for them!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I don't think you're alone in the "Toy Junkie" group!

:lol: :woohoo: :ermm:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I can assure you my wife will not find out that I have broken this probe already! I knew I should have ordered more probes when I ordered my unit. Oh well.
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    When you pulled it out with tongs, were you doing so when the meat just finished cooking and the probe was still hot? Something I always do is leave the probe in the meat until it's finished resting and I'm ready to slice, that way the juices don't run out from the hole left where the probe was. Also, by that time it's usually cool enough to grab with bare fingers.

Those probes can be a pain because they are a little on the delicate side.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    It is my fault. If they offered me a free probe I wouldn't take it, I think I damaged it and I am going to pay for a new one and then if it doesn't work I know it is the probe and not me.