Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT question

Options
randomegger
randomegger Posts: 194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I may try it this weekend but I know that my two young uns won't go anywhere near that pepper. Any suggestions for an alternative to those green veggies that I can use to make the kid version of the ABT?[p]

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    randomegger,
    I seem to recall someone making ABT's with Poblano Chili Peppers. They're usually larger but are very mild.[p]If I were you I would go ahead and make some ABT's with jalapenos too and slice them into bite-size pieces with toothpicks. The kids can try them without worry of them being hot. Just be sure you use fresh jalapenos and scrape out all of the seeds and veins.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    You can parboil them for 1-2 mins, too. That takes away just about any heat you have left.[p]Jim
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    randomegger,[p]One of the "exotic" produce people (Melissa's, Frieda's, etc.) markets a pepper the size and shape of jalapenos. They're typically red, yellow and green, sold in pint containers in the "specialty" section of the produce department. In terms of heat, they are barely hotter than bell peppers.[p]Ken
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Just had another thought: why not use sweet cherry peppers?[p]Ken

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    randomegger,
    If you clean out the seeds and membrane, they won't be hot. My wife managed one, and some guests who said they don't like hot hot hot stuff ate several. Go ahead and make some alternative ABT's, but make sure they try a bite of the Jalapeno ABTs to see how they like them.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hey randomegger:[p]Been there, done that! I have a bunch of folks down here who are afraid to try the jalapeno version of ABT’s and “non-nucular” ABT’s . My last batch was a combination of “High Test” and “Non-Radioactive” ABT’s. [p]For the kids and the rest of the heat fearing women and girley-men at my barbeque, I made a large batch using sweet Cubanel peppers. I selected 3 to 4” long versions of this sweet pepper, and then just made them as usual. The hungry mob devoured them immediately! By the way, when I say the usual way, that would mean that they are stuffed with a lot of different goodies. Smoked salmon is a favorite stuffing around here, ditto for pulled pork or thinly sliced smoked top round steaks. It’s almost impossible to make a mistake when preparing these little tasty torpedoes.[p][p]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    found a little website says the seeds are about 20% of the heat, the membrane 80....[p]so i never feel like a wimp taking the seeds out anymore

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante