Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is Grill Dome?

Options
Grand Oeuf Vert
Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at a BBQ store yesterday just to look around. This store sells BGEs as well as these Grill Dome things. What seemed odd to me is a clerk was pushing me to buy a Grill Dome. With him not knowing I was already and Egghead, I just listened to his babble. Twice as thick, stainless steel hardware, better hinge system, choice of colors, yada yada yada...No DW, no lower screen, no accessories (in fact the floor models had BGE Eggcessoroies) and the gasket?...Ok we wont go there. Only price advantage was Grill Dome included stand and side tables. Are these things any good. They must be new to Canada. I took offense to his BGE bashing. I wanted to bash him by the time he was done. Or at least report him to BGE police. Don't think I'll be back to that store anytime soon.

Comments

• Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    I know! Tell me about it! I too friggin' HATE stainless.
    It's all shiny-like, and it never rusts...what's up with that? ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    their superdome can cook a 45 pound turkey, i want to see that :laugh: it actually looks like a nice cooker to me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Yes but do you want to EAT a 45 lb turkey? :laugh:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i usually put 2 birds out on the table :) i want to know where you even buy a 45 pounder :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    A true Biker who rides a Harley never bashes the guy on the Honda. Maybe the guy who bought the Harley to be cool would, but not a real biker.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    45 lb turkey? That's not a turkey, it's an emu!
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    Options
    From what i understand the Large GD takes all the egg accessories..

Honestly, since i have been toying with the idea of a medium egg, i have also pondered going with a Med GD, instead.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

Well said!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Well said. Funny thing though...Have you ever seen a Honda with Harley accessories? That's what this dude was trying to sell me. The Honda might do the job but when it comes with no forum and no fests why would I even be interested.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Bacchus, As an owner of 22 or 23 motorcycles, (between my gal and me, they're not all mine!) I couldn't agree more.
    It's the way life should be! The less anything bashing, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

You don't like it? Don't buy it, do it, ride it, watch it, listen to it, read it....
  • fishlessman
    Options
    where does one acquire an emu then :laugh: does it look like turkey once cooked up and sitting on one very big platter
    fukahwee maine

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    To me any sales pitch that has to bash another item makes me go HMMMM and go check out the other item LOL When you are the best you have a pretty big target on your back for others to aim at LOL
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    Options
    Did he literally bash it, or just point out its advantages over the egg?

Saying it has a better hinge, thicker ceramic, etc is not bashing, if it is true..
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I like your spirit but buying a BGE does not give you any more right to the public forum or Eggfests. All users have always been welcome here and at the Eggfests. Most of the cooking tips for the Egg will work on any ceramic cooker and it has also worked and helped me when I use other cookers. Yes, I still use a Weber Kettle and stick burner as well as my Eggs. We all do our best with what we have and what fits our pocket book. It's all about enjoying outdoor cooking and good food.
    Besides, money talks. If the sales person gets better product support on other grills and makes more money selling them you can not blame him. Rather help him learn more about the Egg by directing him to this site.
    A few years ago my local dealer had never heard of this forum, DP rubs and did not even know BGE made an XL. They were still nice people and now they have 5 times the BGE stuff. The BGE is not perfect. Some of the other makers have nice features. Competition breeds improvement. We all win.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    So did he "bash" the BGE or simply mention the ways in which Grill Dome purports to be superior?

My guess is the guy gets a better commission and possibly a manufacturer sponsored spiff for selling the other product.

They are made here in Atlanta, have been around a few years, and do have some pluses and some minuses when compared to the BGE. For example, the stainless steel bands. They are, in my opinion, inferior in several ways as well, for example the baked on painted exterior versus the glaze of the egg.

Sometimes we get so starry-eyed in love with our eggs that we take offense when none was justified.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I've hung out with some guys who bash all Japanese bikes...and I would dare anyone to tell them they aren't "real bikers".

I've been on group runs where some of the guys would put a little pile of rice under the Hondas so they wouldn't feel left out when the Harley riders had their little puddle of oil under their bikes. I've seen stickers put over gas tank emblems that say Honda-Davidson to make the badges look just like Harley's emblems. I've heard much worse. I've seen fist fights over these "not-real bikers" talking smack to rice burner riders.

But yea, you're probably right. :whistle:
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Fishless, this might help you if you are ever near Bangalore. lol
    emu adult birds for sale, bangalore - Rs 0
    Reply to: mnaveen.naveen@yahoo.com
    Map data ©2010 Europa Technologies - Terms of UseMapSatelliteHybrid500 ft200 m

hello am m naveen kumar iam offering 10 pairs of genuine adult emu birds for sale please contact genuine buyers only 09035306028 mnaveen.naveen@yahoo.com

Here's a simple recipe courtesy of The Emerald City Supertasters blog:

Emu.jpg
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    well said....amen
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    They are made in India, not Atlanta.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmm..emu was thinking to mad max it though, :laugh: :laugh: and save the yellow snow ipa for drinking
    fukahwee maine

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    No that is very true. But if I have to point out what I feel are faults with my competitor then I am not to secure in my product. Have had my own business for over 30 years and have never had to put down or use another business to make a sale. I stand on my product and my service. I always feel there is room for improvement and growth. if something does not work change directions until it does. I have an item that I carry from three diff manufacturers. all do the same thing and do it very well but with three diff price points. all good quality and work to achieve the same end results. but not everyone can spend 500.00 when a 200.00 machine will do about the same thing, granted not quite as smoothly or fast, but the end results are about the same. I point out the good things in each and let the buyer decide. I never bash any of them, why would I carry them if I did not feel they were good enough??
    and this is why post such as this are frowned upon in the forum. not because they don't want comparisons but they don't want the arguing that follows and nastiness that has been a result before.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    A 45lb bird??? Sounds like an ostrich to me!! :laugh:

- Barry
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    fishlessman,

Hahahahaha, I didn't notice that :laugh: Watch out where them huskies go!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    I totally agree Fishless! :lol::lol::lol:
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I think it's interesting that the only people who ever have negative things to say about BGEs are those who have never (or only sparingly) used one.

Dealers in Ontario are surprisingly (or not) uneducated about how to cook barbecue or operate one. I guess that may be because the overwhelming majority of the market for bbqs in Canada is gas. Whenever I'm in a shop like bbqs galore I ask the sales person I'm speaking with if they have ever cooked on the bbq they are talking about. It's almost always "no". Clearly the chain does not make demos available for employees to use.

Mark
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    As always, when I post it is my opinion. And I don't consider a Harley guy who bashes a non Harley rider to be a real biker. Would I say it to his face? Probably, depending on the setting. ;)
    We, as Eggheads have more in common with a Grilldome user than we do with most people who cook. Would I buy one? No, but if forced to choose between a grilldome and a gasser, I'd go with the Grilldome.
    And btw, I have my eyes on a Beemer R1200RT. :)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    theres a harley shop across from me,alot of their business is into shipping their customers bikes to the biker events, their shops been closed for two weeks moving bikes down and back to daytona. am i missing something here, does anyone ride their harleys :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I've worked with both types of people, Yuppie bikers and hardcore bikers.

The Yuppie bikers (that's what the hardcore bikers call them) were the ones with the biggest beef against "metric bikes". The hardcore bikers really didn't care, as long as they were on a bike and not "in a cage" they were OK with it.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    Heh heh heh When I lived in Daytona, I would see these guys pulling their bikes out of their trailers at a rest area just outside of town. All that just so that they could ride in to town. It would make me laugh.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I stand corrected. I should have said headquartered in the Atlanta area.