Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trout on the egg

Options
germanshorthair
germanshorthair Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a trout recipe for the egg.
I have not cooked fish of any kind on the egg, but me and my son first caught some trout last weekend at Taneycomo lake in Branson, MO.
By the way,happy Memorial weekend and thanks to all our military,past and present.[p]Any help would be appresiated.[p]Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Whole_Trout2.jpg
    <p />germanshorthair,[p]I used a raised grid and put the whole trout over a bed of green onions. I cooked at 250 degrees with Alder smoke till the meat was flakey. Season the inside with garlic, butter, and some kosher salt.[p]Hmmmm Good.[p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    germanshorthair, the egg has made me a tremendous fan of smoked fish. I smoke my fish at an average temp of 225-250 dome temp. The beauty is, the real seasoning is smoke, and anthing else you add is just icing on the cake.[p]Try seasoning w/kosher salt, black pepper, maybe some terryaki and turbinado sugar. Get the grill stabilized at 200-225 and put a handful of chips(maple, oak, pecan, cherry, alder) and smoke 2-3 hours depending on the thickness of the filet. [p]If I'm going to use the fish for a spread, I'll cook it longer to make it more firm.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    GrillMeister, looks good

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    trout1.jpg
    <p />germanshorthair,[p]I smoke mine and serve cold as an appetizer. The linked recipe, adapted from 3Men.com, is how I do them. I am actually doing some this weekend with some smoked salmon as well.[p]Chuck
    [ul][li]Smoked Trout[/ul]
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Borders,[p]Thanks! I used to do smoked trout all the time on my old cheapo brinkman water smoker, but the BGE brings it to a whole new level.[p]Good luck with the trout. I'm sure they'll be very tasty.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]I do it the same way you do -- it takes an hour at 250. Perfect every time.
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]Actually, I think it's that I do it the same way as you. I'm pretty sure you helped me last year when I asked the same question. Thanks for reminding me about the time.[p]Have a good holiday weekend![p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    You might think about wooden grilling planks. The indians used to use this method to cook their fish and look how they all turned out. Actually, BGE makes these gilling planks. I know cause I one won a set at the Texas Eggfest. Interesting process. You soak this plank of wood in water for about an hour then place on the grill. When it starts smoking you place your fish on it and cook until done. The heated plank sends intense wood flavor and steam deep into the fish cooking it quickly. They say the fish is really great. I haven't tried mine yet, but soon. Try it and see if you like like it. Contact you BGE dealer for the planks.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Ed....[p]I notice from another post you went to Lake of the Woods for some icefishing....didn't know you were a fisherman![p]I'm due to go back to Minnesota in late August (BWAC & Lake Vermilion this year) for some Smallie and Walleye fishing! [p]Any reasion why I couldn't use your whole trout method for whole Walleyes? [p]What's your take?[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Sounds like fun! Yep, I like to fish here in Texas for large mouth bass, crappie, and bluegill.[p]I go up north every Winter for a weekend of snow, sub-zero temps, ice fishing, beer, schnapps, & good friends. Then I get on a plane and come back home and put on some shorts and a t-shirt. (grin)

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Chubby,[p]I don't see why not? Let us know how it turns out.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas