Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a 12lb boneless butt at my local meat market. This is my first time cooking a butt, so I don't have a lot of experience here.[p]When I removed the plastic wrap, it fell into two peices - one slightly larger than the other. I have put rub on both and they are back in the fridge until tomorrow night.[p]My plan was to coat w/ mustard (al la Brant), and cook indirect with a drip pan on top of a pizza stone around 250 dome until 200 internal. I have two Poulders. Should I just throw both peices of meat on and cook like I had originally planned? Will the smaller one finish before the large?[p]Any other advice? Thanks.[p]---
Steve[p]

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    StevieD,
    Cook em just like you planned...12# is awful big for a butt..it was most likely 2 in 1 package..just put a polder in each and go for 195 to 200° internal individualy..they should finish real close to the same time..HTH[p]Wess

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    WessB,
    I agree, either that was a butt 2-pack cryovac or would someone sell a butt and a picnic together, cut into 2 pieces?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks, guys. That's what I thought.[p]I bought this at a nice meat market. I guess my excitement got the better of me and an I picked out the largest butt they had (in a single cryovac). I suspect you are right that this really was two pieces. The shape of the cryovac should have given it away. It was larger on the two ends -- kind of shaped like an 8. Live and learn... [p]Regardless, I'm looking forward to my first pulled-pork from the Egg. Woo-hoo![p]---
    Steve

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    StevieD,
    I usually slather on the mustard first, and then add the rub. Either way, it will work. I don't think it would hurt to have the mustard on now to marinade with the rub. [p]The smaller one will be done first, but not by much. It's surprising, but they take almost the same amount of time. [p]Leave yourself plenty of time if you are planning to eat them when they come off the grill. Better to leave more time, rather than trying to cut them close and hurry them at the end. They will stay happy wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler for hours before you pull them. [p]Mine usually take from 20-24 hours. I start very slow, and maintain about 225 dome temp, and I go until I get an internal of 200. In fact, I throw mine on right after I light it and get the temp up to about 125, and then I throw in my smoking wood which almost puts the fire out....but it smokes like mad, and then I put the meat in and let the temp climb to 225. This can take up to an hour, but you really produce a lot of smoke in the beginning when the meat is just sucking it in.[p]Mike in MN[p]