Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dutch oven what is best?

Options
Scooby's Eggin again!
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best kind, size dutch oven to buy for a large egg?

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I like a #12 Lodge for mine

DSC_0090resized.jpg
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    I have a 4 qt. and a 7 qt. the four is big enough for most of our meals, ( four or five people) the seven works when that is not enough.
    my four is a no name, had it 25 years, works fine,
    Lodge is probably the most accepted brand
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Assuming you are going with the "Lodge" brand, which would be a fine choice, and also assuming you are going with standard CI and not enamled, there are 2 basic styles. The camp style which a member posted a picture of above, and the regular style. Camp D.O.'s have legs on the bottom and a lip on the lid, both of which are to accomodate charcoal for cooking on the ground or campfire. Obviously they work fine on the egg. But if you want to use it occassionaly on the stovetop &/or indoor oven, the standard version would probably be the best choice.
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    I picked up a 5qt. from Target for about $40. Great deal and just the right size for my large egg. It is the lodge brand with no legs.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Lodge 12 Camp style with legs and lip is my go to DO.I use it 85% of the time and I got a lotta different ones.
  • asianflava
    Options
    It will depend on what and how much you are cooking. You don't have just one size pot in you kitchen do you? I have camp ovens of all sizes, for most cooking I use the 10in and the deep 10in. when making a large side for a potluck, I use the deep 12in. Honestly, I don't think I've used the 16in DO yet, it makes a lot of food!

I don't use my DOs in the egg. I have a metal table specifically for DO cooking that I put on my egg table. I also bring them camping. If you are going to use them in the egg, I'd suggest getting the ones without the legs.

DO%20stack.jpg
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    YOU!!!
    My son, are in trouble!!!
    Not really…Nice collection of DOs.
    My fav..is a #10. For what ever that may be worth!
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Count me as a fan of enameled CI (specifically le Creuset). It's easier to care for, very versatile, and looks nice enough to bring directly to the table. Le Creuset makes oval ovens which nestle nicely into the curved sides of a BGE, giving you a little more efficient use of space.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive got lodge camp ovens with the leggs (the camp style ones the cover also can be used as a griddle plate)number 12 deep camp dutch fits nicely on a large and is my go to potroast pot. i use lecruest on the egg as well but its way overkill, that pot really shines on an indoor simmer plate but on the egg you can get away with alot less. i also have a cheap enameled dutch bought in a marshalls, works just as well as all the others. im lazy, the food gets stored in the pot in the fridge after dinner if there is leftovers, you can only do that with the enameled dutch ovens and if i had only one dutch it would be enamelled. theres alot of talk about metalic tastes coming from castiron cook ware if acidic foods are cooked in them, some taste it, some dont, i taste it, another reason my votes for enamelled
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EatMoeQ
    Options
    Scooby, these are a great value and the 6 quart is a monster. Great in the egg, on top of the stove or in the oven. Mine gets used all of the time and it's a third of the price of Le Crueset.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=color&idProduct=4051

Moe
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I agree that the LeCrueset's are overpriced. But Enamled D.O.'s in general are indeed great tools. I have yet to use my enamled one on the EGG but have no doubt it would function and clean up just fine. For some reason I just prefer the standard cast iron.

Asianflava, that is one hell of a Camp Oven collection. No doubt you must be quite proficient in their use. Would love to see some pics of your table in action and some of the dishes you create.
  • asianflava
    Options
    LeCreuset=$$$

There are other enameled cast iron pots. Lodge makes some enameled cast iron. I've also seen some labeled Mario Batali. The LC may be a better product, but I would probably never notice.

For the same pot a 6qt (actually the LC is 6.75qt cause it's 6L)
    Lodge=$48.87
    LeCreuset=$269.95
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    The Lodge enameled cast iron is made in China, I'll take Le Creuset any day. I've found the 7 1/4 qt round to be quite versatile, but I also love my 6 3/4 qt oval. Although I often have mine filled to the very top and wish I had one a little bigger.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Little Steven
    Options
    asianflava,

Do you put lights on that at Christmas? :laugh: Wow!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive come to the conclusion that no matter how big the pot is, it gets filled to the very top :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    asianflava, OMG.......and I thought I had a problem collecting things! Now I feel better. :laugh: