Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Deer shoulder results

Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited 7:41AM in EggHead Forum
I know deer is not a very popular cook among forum members but I was asked to do one for a friend. Going at it blind I did some research but didn't find a whole lot of material. I did learn that you want to pull at an internal of 140 or so to prevent dry meat. I did see a recent cook by Allenbama that gave me most of my ideas. Thanks Allen. What I did was got the egg rolling along at 275 dome with my guru.I rubbed the shoulder with Willinghams bbq rub. Went with hickory chunks and cooked it on the grid with drip pan underneath for about two hours. After two hours I pulled and put it in a roaster pan with 1 cup dales, cup of beer, cup of water, cup of italian dressing, and added a whole onion and a whole bag of baby potatoes.Covered roast with HD foil. I placed it back on the egg at 300 dome and it wound up cooking for another 2.5 hours to reach 145 internal. I dont know the actual weight of the shoulder but I'm guessing 10 pounds. I did try a small hunk off of it when it was done and it was by far the best deer meat I have eaten. I'm sure theres hundreds of ways to cook deer but I would recomend this to anyone. Enjoy the pics and have a great day!!!
Rubbed and ready
IMG_6703.jpg
IMG_6706.jpg
After the two hour smoke
IMG_6710.jpg
IMG_6712-1.jpg
IMG_6714.jpg
Covered for the final cook
IMG_6715.jpg
Done
IMG_6716.jpg
·

Comments

• I cook a lot of venison. That looks great and is a method I need to try. You mention a cup of "dales". What is that? Thank you for the followup of your recipe.
    Phil
    ·
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Dales is a soy based marinade thats readily available in most of the south. A cup of moores marinade would do the same if you have that. Or a cup of regular soy sauce would probably be ok as well.
    ·
  • NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Excellent post and pix. I don't egg deer meat 'cause I don't have any (and stopped hunting years ago).

Nice job, would have liked to have seen pix of the shoulder sliced up a bit, but that's me.
    ·
  • Looks good. Thanks for the pics.

Like Bill, I do not have a source for deer meat. I am sure I would try it on the BGE if I could get it. Unfortunately, neither Costco nor my local grocery carry deer meat, or any other exotic meats. :(
    ·
  • BADaQBADaQ Posts: 159
    Glad it went well for ya. It looks awesome. Bet it tasted even better!
    ·
  • CrueznCruezn Posts: 317
    I was trying to decide what to egg this weekend. You made up my mind immediately. Wow, does that look good. I can't wait to try my own!
    ·
  • BADaQBADaQ Posts: 159
    its worth it totally
    ·
  • Here is a recipe for my Dale’s Steak Seasoning clone. All that is missing is the MSG and you can add some if you wish…

JB’s VENISON MARINADE
    North Portage Smoke-Shack

1/3 C. soy sauce
    1 t. onion powder
    1 t. garlic powder
    1 t. paprika
    1 t. ground ginger
    1/2 t. fresh ground pepper
    ·
  • That sounds great
    ·