Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer shoulder results

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know deer is not a very popular cook among forum members but I was asked to do one for a friend. Going at it blind I did some research but didn't find a whole lot of material. I did learn that you want to pull at an internal of 140 or so to prevent dry meat. I did see a recent cook by Allenbama that gave me most of my ideas. Thanks Allen. What I did was got the egg rolling along at 275 dome with my guru.I rubbed the shoulder with Willinghams bbq rub. Went with hickory chunks and cooked it on the grid with drip pan underneath for about two hours. After two hours I pulled and put it in a roaster pan with 1 cup dales, cup of beer, cup of water, cup of italian dressing, and added a whole onion and a whole bag of baby potatoes.Covered roast with HD foil. I placed it back on the egg at 300 dome and it wound up cooking for another 2.5 hours to reach 145 internal. I dont know the actual weight of the shoulder but I'm guessing 10 pounds. I did try a small hunk off of it when it was done and it was by far the best deer meat I have eaten. I'm sure theres hundreds of ways to cook deer but I would recomend this to anyone. Enjoy the pics and have a great day!!!
Rubbed and ready
IMG_6703.jpg
IMG_6706.jpg
After the two hour smoke
IMG_6710.jpg
IMG_6712-1.jpg
IMG_6714.jpg
Covered for the final cook
IMG_6715.jpg
Done
IMG_6716.jpg

Comments