Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

open vs. closed counter: temp control?

Options
sew quik
sew quik Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I am planning an outdoor kitchen with two large Eggs. The kitchen will be made from masonry with flagstone tops. One supplier recommends leaving the whole front of the Egg housing (from the countertop down to the base of the Egg) open to allow more airflow and allow "better temperature control" of the Egg. I was planning to just leave a 12" by 6" opening near the bottom vent to clean ash and control the bottom vent slider.

Never having used an Egg (but with two larges sitting in my garage), I need the expert opinions of those who have Eggs in enclosed cabinets (it it Uncle Ed?) over this issue.

thanks,

sew quik

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    some leave the front open for easy removal but you wont have a problem with a 6x12 inch opening in front of the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    That will have no effect on temp control.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I'm going to leave the front open if we ever get around to building ours. I want to do so for a couple reasons. One, if we ever want to move the egg. Two, with so many of the tables people post photos of, I'm thinking you have to lean forward to tend to the lump and the meat. My back would not be able to take a whole lot of that. I stand right up close to my egg when cooking.