Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fancy Baked Beans

Options
iBeeSmok'n
iBeeSmok'n Posts: 270
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay for all those asking yesterday you won't be disappointed in my mother-in-laws recipe. I usually double it so I can freeze a bunch.

3 cups - dry white pea beans
1/4lb bacon diced (I use a 1/2lb, love bacon)
1 28oz can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
2 large onions
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup fancy molasses (I pour in more to darken them up, probably double at least)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
I add chunks of ham steak as well.

Rinse and sort beans in a large dutch oven or stock pot, cover beans with 3 times their volume of water.
Bring to boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Drain discarding the liquid.
Return soaked beans to pot along with 3 times their volume of fresh water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer covered for 30-45 minutes or until tender.
Drain reserving 2 cups cooking liquid.
In a stock pot or dutch oven combine cooked beans, reserved cooking liquid, bacon, tomatoes, onions,ketchup, molasses, mustard, sugar,salt & pepper.
Cover and bake on the BGE at 300 F for 2 1/2 hours.
Uncover and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours longer or until sauce is thickened and coats beans well.
As mentione above I use allot of molasses to make the beans really dark.

As per my picture below I invert the plate setter and use the feet to keep the pot off the direct heat or you will burn the beans.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

Cheers.

IMG_0805.jpg
IMG_0810.jpg

Comments