Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Growing Grass and Herbage, Dude

Options
BigDaddy - OCT
BigDaddy - OCT Posts: 773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is the first house I've had where I don't (yet) have a good garden area but I would like to take a shot at lemongrass and Thai basil. Anyone have any experience with them or suggestions?

Bruce

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Gorsh, did someone say grass and herbage?

Goofystoned.jpg
  • ok, so you're Goooofy, the annonymous poster. :laugh:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Oh, no! I'm goofy enough. I don't need to be anonymous to prove it :woohoo:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Bruce....I have both growing. Where do you live? Lemon grass is VERY frost hearty, and does fantastic in direct sun (and even dry conditons once rooted). But WARNING...It gets huge! Ours is presently about 9' high, and takes a good 3' square of the garden at the base. (probably has about a 6 foot wing span so to speak!) Thai basil is a bit more sensitive to frosts and such, but as long as you clip it back after the cold, it does great! As SOON as you see seed pods (purple) on the top, pinch them back.
    Hope this helps a bit! And you are definately a fan of the flavors I thrive on! ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    never tried lemon grass but basil is easy up here in the summer, just do what little chef said and keep picking the pods. i grow it all summer then freeze the leaves for stews and sauce for the winter, turns black in the freezer but still tastes better than dried.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Thanks LC and Fishlessman. Wow, I didn't know the lemon grass got that big. I thought about planting it as an ornamental grass and then harvesting what I wanted out of it but I'm going to have to re-think that plan. I'm in north central Oklahoma so I'll check the growth charts.

Love the goofy pic!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i started an asparugus patch a few years back, :laugh: i think the tallest plant came in at 9 feet, who woulda thunk :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it