Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need new ceramic cap for large BGE

Options
markthewood
markthewood Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My UPS guy accidentally knocked the ceramic cap off my BGE. Can anyone tell me how much to replace?

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    markthewood,[p]I wouldn't imagine it would cost you anything since the UPS guy should be paying for it![p]mShark
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    markthewood, Try your dealer or call the BGE store. Depending on the size, it will cost you about $12.00 + S/H.[p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Unknown
    Options
    markthewood, you know, the day they delivered my egg they put the metal daisy wheel on and left the ceramic top for me to do something with. I think its in the garage somewhere, or storage room, or tool shed, who knows for sure! I started to just throw it away but I see on here all the time where someone is asking about ordering a new one for one reason or the other. Do you put the ceramic top back on after cooking, or do you NOT use the daisy wheel? Just curious.[p]I guess I'd better try to find mine.[p]Van
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Hugh Jass,
    The ceramic top tends to seal a bit more airtight than the daisy wheel, and it is water tight, so most people (I think) use it to close the top vent when they are not cooking.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, ok, that makes sense. My egg is under a covered deck so I don't have the water problem. [p]BTW, Whiz, the other day I was stirring my old lump and found a small piece of metal. I thought it was just some kind of scrap in my lump so I threw it away. Only later did I discover that it was the clip from my dome temp gauge!! I had pulled my gauge off to calibrate it and forgot it had the clip on it. I am such a brain!!![p]I may have to change my name to "DumbJass"!![p]Van
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Hugh Jass,
    Heres my story. :)
    The green ceramic cap is used to put out a fire and to keep rain from coming inside.[p]If you close the bottom vent and put on the green cap you will extinguish the fire.[p]For storage between cooks I always put the cap on just in case it rains. My Eggs are outdoors and I live in Michigan.(Lots of rain/snow.)
    When cooking steaks you may want to follow others directions for "dwelling" which means to block off the top and close the bottom vent. So I use the green cap for that too.
    I think it was songdog (?) on the K board that started the "dwell in the shell" method, and thsy method has been adapted/modified to lots of other types of cooks. [p]So thats why I think you need to keep the green ceramic cap that came with the cooker. ;)[p]later,
    ChefRD
    [p]

• bodean
    bodean Posts: 19
    Options
    I thought I was the only person that is cursed with bad luck....sounds like something that would happen to me....
    Always missing a part or a screw that I need to finish the project.....I feel your pain[p]Dean

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Hugh Jass,[p]
    Are you putting the clip under the dome?[p]