Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1rst Boston Butt

Options
Cooker
Cooker Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked first Boston Butt last night for 16 hours at 250
degrees using plate setter under the grill with small bowl of pineapple juice,vinegar,texas pete hot sauce mixture set directly under the pork shoulder.
Meat was very tender,skin turned out nice and crisp,tasted good too.

Bostonjpg.jpg

Shoulderjpg.jpg

PulledPorkjpg.jpg

I really like this BGE.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    That looks really good, nice color and appears to be very moist. Pork always comes out good on the Egg. What you actually have there is a picnic. It's part of the shoulder, just below the butt. A butt is about the same weight but has a blade bone and is kind of rectangular, they usually come without the skin. Here are some photos of a picnic, some butts, and the last one is a whole shoulder with both the picnic and butt.

There is a little more waste on a picnic, with the skin and leg bone and all.... but since the price per pound is usually less than a butt they are an excellent value. Sometimes I'll cook one of each and mix the pulled meat together.

DSC05085H.jpg

DSC05147d.jpg

shoulder2.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bluecrab3
    Options
    Congrats on your first cook. Next time, put a lasagna bake pan (aluminum) under it to catch those drippings. You can put your liquids in the pan, too!!!

Congrats on your new egg. I'm sure you are FIRED UP.
  • Bluecrab3
    Options
    Congrats on your first cook. Next time, put a lasagna bake pan (aluminum) under it to catch those drippings. You can put your liquids in the pan, too!!!

Congrats on your new egg. I'm sure you are FIRED UP.
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    i cook picnics a lot, i like them. I discard the skin and a fair portion of the fat cap for better smoke and rub penetration and bark.

like previous posters have said, the waste is higher but the price is usually lower.