Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Myth?

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay folks. I am getting an egg......a second one that is.....and I was looking at a small to go with my large.....but after reading posts about how it won't really save lump, etc I decided why not just get another large. I mean, you can never have too much Egg cooking space, right? So, after seeing Richards brisket pics on his XL, for some reason the thought occured, hell why not just get an XL?

Well, then I thought back to when I was getting my first egg, 4 or so years ago, and the salesperson told me that there were some issues with the XL's not holding temps correctly, or some design issues that they had with them. He said that the XL was waaaaayyyy harder to cook on then a large.

Is that still an issue? Was it ever really an issue to your knowledge?

Comments

• Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to buy a second egg. I have already decided after only a month to get a second large myself in the near future. I don't see the need for an XL and can't explain when I would actually use it. What do you plan to do on the XL that you can't do on a L?
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    I would probly never "need" the XL and the L, but I am thinking I could use the XL more for bigger cooks rather than firing up two L's. Idk, guess I was just thinking the ole "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". I am sure you are right, two larges would be PLENTY, esp if I got that adjustable rig set up on both. Are you using one of those?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    I own five EGGs, with two of them being XLs. The XL is an awesome cooking machine that serves us quite well. I have never had any issues holding temps, never had the mysterious uneven cooking that critics claim and have cooked a boat load of food on them. Nothing wrong with an XL in my opinion, in fact I think it is actually way underrated......

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

There ya go SmokinParrotHead. Listen to the folks that have XL's.

No XL here just all the smaller sizes. From what I understand there has been some imporvements in the design, make sure your dealer has the newest design before committing.

I am seriously thinking of getting rid of the smaller sizes and getting another large or XL. I will keep the mini.

Friday night is a tough night to post this question.

GG
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

There ya go SmokinParrotHead. Listen to the folks that have XL's.

No XL here just all the smaller sizes. From what I understand there has been some imporvements in the design, make sure your dealer has the newest design before committing.

I am seriously thinking of getting rid of the smaller sizes and getting another large or XL. I will keep the mini.

Friday night is a tough night to post this question.

GG

GG, Taylorsville is a short drive for me. If you want to sell your small, let me know.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Where are you located.

I have only used it a few times. Maybe this spring/summer sometime. I need to get a second L or XL lined before I let it and or the medium go.

I was working on something with my dealer but he closed his store down some months ago.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I am in West Valley, right next door. Yeah, it was too bad to see him go. I bought my nest from him.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Lee,

I got my XL first, and have had no issues with it. Love it.

Got it because I wanted to be able to grill lots of burgers, and so I could do sides at the same time as the meat.

It gets hot fast, holds temps well (been at 225 for 6 hours with almost no adjustments for the brisket), and is just easy to use.

Main drawback for me was how much lump it does when doing high temp burns. I got the medium to sear steaks, do pizzas, wok cooking, and in general those smaller cooks (fish, chicken parts, etc.)

I like the idea of the large instead of the XL, but there are just too many times when I fill up the grid on the XL, and know the large would not do.

If I had it to do over, I would do the XL and medium again.

The XL is also very verstatile with some accessories from The Ceramic Grill Store.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to plug the XL. Just don't plan on using it for 700F burns, unless you like using up a ton of lump.

Richard
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Smoking...I don't own an XL to be honest, but, we have 3 LG and one Med. Just think....with another LG, you already have a platesetter, pizza stone, raised grid, whatever. And if you don't, you can buy them for the difference between a LG and XL...and you can swap between Larges. IMO....another Large. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    My bias opinion is to get a second large. Then you can bake and sear. Last night I baked some potato's and then fired up the other egg to sear a London Broil. It works for me. I don't have the adjustable rig yet but, I can swap out the other stuff i've got. When I get around to it i'll get me an adjustable rig. ;) Good luck on your decision making. Tim

Also, I have my first large egg in a table so, this time I got my large in a nest with a handler attached to it. So, now I share the table. It is what ever works for you. That is what counts. B)

000_1742.jpg
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I do not have an XL, but I have seen Fred (smokinguitarplayer of Fred's Music & BBQ) bake on his and it is very flexible on the set-up.

They have made a few changes on the height of the fire ring to give more clearance between the grill and the opening on the Egg and therefore, longer legs on the platesetter.

If the issue is around the XL itself, I would go for it.

On the other hand, you can do a lot with another Lg. and all the grill toys work on both.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Have an XL and it cooks just like a large. I don't understand why a salesman would say the XL won't hold temps correctly or has design issues.

Don't make your decision based on heresay from a dealer who has never cooked on one, and the amount of lump it uses shouldn't be a driver in the decision - sure it is more but its incremental. If the amount of lump was the driver in the decision, there would be no large owners.

IMO the decision comes down to:

A second large makes a lot of sense for accessories and it certainly has a significant amount grill space, but if you think you would use more acreage or you just want more acreage get the XL.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I currently have the large and xl, had other eggs in the past. I might be a bit biased, given the accessories available to me, but the xl is my favorite cooker.

For low and slows, the 24 inch grid works for 18+ inch long briskets and ribs. It's easier to get an indirect piece under the entire cook. Xl has elbow room.

For grilling, I go large or small with the lump reducing ring. Searing on the lump is easier because the 24 diameter opens up the bottom of the egg. Taking direct cooks to indirect can be done by off setting the food and lump. You can raise the grid too.

The xl does cook differently than the large, but then large's cook differently than other large's, so no big deal. Your learning curve will be quick since you have egg experience.

I'd just make sure you get an xl with all the latest upgrades, including new dome.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    My small certainly does save lump..and just for comparison I could most likely cooks steaks ( ie. 550° )on my small everyday for a week or more on less lump than it would take to "fill" the XL one time...I'm not bashing the XL, I own one and love it...but to say a small doesn't save lump is not an accurate statement in my experience....and furthrmore the small is a totally different cooking machine than either the large or the XL due to the proximity to the coals..good luck with your choice...
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    yes, i have the bge triple rack, going to cook 30 pieces of chicken today, with room to spare
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Is that the triple rack you get a 2 inch fire ring with for $60.? Tim
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I got my 3 tier for christmas so I have no idea what it cost. Was I suppose to get another ceramic fire ring?
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Well don't quote me on it but I thought so. Maybe you can ask around. Try to let me know if you find out and I will you. Tim
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I know where you can find a GREAT deal on a 3 tier rack.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    The three tier and the fire ring are sold seperately and the cost was around $100 about a year ago or so.
  • asianflava
    Options
    I have had my XL for about a year and a half, I've smoked in temps from 90+ down to -9 haven't really had a problem holding temps.

I bought a L about a month ago because the XL can be a charcoal hog when all I want to do is grill a couple steaks or burgers. The L is also more portable (not by much) so I can take it with me if I had to.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
  • greenfan
    Options
    I have an XL but no other eggs so I don't have that perspective, but I can tell you that I love the grill space and I don't have any issues with stabilizing temperatures.