Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken Direct

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well after some very much appreciated advice I am doing my direct Spatchcocked chicken this afternoon. I passed up Prime Rib to do it. The wife is getting a $13 ribeye steak. But I wanted to do the chicken so I could see how much difference it will make. So far, it is looking very good.

Prepped the chicken in the appropriate manner, seasoned with EVOO and JD Rub, using WGWW and BGE lump mix and put Western Cherry chips and JD Whiskey Barrel chips on the coal. I am using the BGE raised grid with my porcelan grid for room on top of it. I don't know where you buy 3-4 lb birds but my Kroger only has 5 lb birds. They are huge! I put them skin side down for 15 minutes then flipped them over into the correct sitting position. I noticed that my fire was hotter on one side so I simply spun the BGE raised grid combo around! Man that is easy! I like the revolving grids! I went back out there and rotated them again just to make sure everything is cooking even. It smells good. Not even checking temp yet because the wings at the joints and the drumsticks do not look done. Even if I have to take the thigs to 220 I am not going to pull these birds until they look done! No bloody chicken tonight! KFC is open late in case I screw this up!
P1010042.jpg
P1010041.jpg
P1010039.jpg

Comments

• Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    You won't screw it up....it looks great, and will taste even better B)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    In Marketing (i.e. Kroger) speak:
    Fryer chicken = 3-4 lbs
    Young Chicken = 5-6 lbs

If you were to buy a Kroger already cooked chicken I'll bet the farm that it would weigh about 3 lbs. That is where YOUR 3 lb chicken went. :angry::angry:
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Interesting. I am going to try chicken from somewhere else. I just went out and tested the chicken with my thermapen and it is reading about 171 to 177 degress in the legs and thighs. The breasts are running about 162-167. However I flipped them over and one bird when poked underneath actually ran red juice! Dagnabit! The breasts are just to big on these birds. And the darn things fell apart when I turned them! Now I got chicken quarters. Except for the breasts and wings. I am going to let it cook until I get 180 on the thighs on every check.

These were whole birds in the bag. Price was $0.98/lb. Chicken cut up was $1.19/lb. I was thinking that even if the giblets weighed half a pound together then I still came out ahead. Total of $0.11 in waste. Plus I got the 15% Senior Discount today! I am not a senior but I just look like one! They give me the discount if I check out at the express lane. Of course, in two years I will qualify for the discount! Maybe by then I will learn how to cook this darn chicken and not have red meat. Or I am only going to cook thighs and drumsticks. My wife doesn't really like chicken anyway!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    WOW those look great....I have to do a spatchcock chicken soon, its about the only thing I haven't tried yet....I'm not good with a knife so cutting the backbone out will be a challenge for me, but dang that looks to good to pass on :woohoo:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Michael use Scissors ;)
    Messermeister 8-1/2-Inch Take-Apart Utlility Shear
    from Amazon
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    Search the forum for "cutting up a chicken" there are video's that make it easy!
    Never thought I could do it, but now that is all I do when I do a whole chicken. Test for temp. and pull and rest. You can overcook the chicken, and it will still be the best you ever had. GOOD LUCK!

Bob
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Okay, here it is done!
    Image001.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Those sure look good.

What temperature are you cooking these at?

Kent
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Thanks big guy!
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    LOL! Thanks! Using kitchen shears. It is the only safe way to do it. start at the neck in cut right next to the spine and when you get to the back turn it around and start at the tail end. Couple of snips and you are done!
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    tasty! I don't think the JD rub imparts enough taste however. I should have added salt, pepper and garlic powder to the chicken before the rub. That would have made it better. Will do that next time. The chicken pieces that I served last night at work had salt, pepper, garlic powder and KC Masterpiece Rub on them and everybody loved them! I will do my next batch that way and try some cherry and hickory wood.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I always use Kosher Salt, Fresh Cracked BP, and Garlic Powder in addition to whatever else is going on.
  • field hand
    Options
    Glad the chicken worked out, it looks great. My wife loves chicken and we've tried cooking it a number of different ways, but spatchcock works the best. We cook direct at gasket level with temp between 350* and 375*, similar to your method. Seems like a good deal when the store gives you the senior discount. When seasoning the meat, make sure the cook is also properly seasoned with appropriate adult beverages.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Good job! they look great :P
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    if I use kosher salt, do I use more are less than table salt?
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    lol I will open one of those funny bottles on the fancy wire rack and pull the cork on it and start right up. I think a shiraz would go good with this tonight...

"I only drink the kind of wine I like to drink with my food." The Late Justin Wilson.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    thanks...i have eaten two quarters as snacks now. I don't think I will want supper when the misses gets here...maybe she can cook her own steak? naw, I will do it....boy this red soda in the bottle is flat but tasty....
  • field hand
    Options
    Sounds good, enjoy. I'm working on seasoning-the-cook and I'm not egging tonight. Still snowy and cold here.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Looks good. I think spatchcock chicken is the best way to cook it. For some reason in comes out really moist and flavorful.

To get even more flavor into the meat, you should put your rub under the skin. To do this lift up the front of the breat skin and work the rub down the breast. Do the same on the sides of the thighs to work rub into the leg meat. This will give the entire chicke a great taste, and for those who want to cut fat by not eating the skin, you get the good rub flavor on the lean meat.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    More. Kosher salt is about less dense than regular salt.
    "Diamond Crystal kosher is half as salty per unit of volume as table salt; Morton's kosher is 2/3 as salty."

Doug