Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder/Butt/Picnic

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Is pork shoulder comprised of the butt and picnic?
Can the shoulder be used for pulled pork, or is it better to just use the butt?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Yes, the shoulder consists of the butt and the picnic and they are both used for pulled pork. The picnic is leaner throughout the meat portion, so monitor accordingly.[p]Jim
  • Unknown
    Options
    JSlot,
    My first attempt at pork was a backstrap that my husband brought home. I think it is some part of loin. It was a very lean piece of meat with a thin layer of fat on one side. I tried low heat for long time and it turned out to have great flavor but was quite dry. SO, I thought I would buy meat for this weekend's grilling adventure and get a boston butt. Am I kinda on the right track to think that more fat will make for a more moist meat? Or should I go with picnic cut?

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    espnga, a Boston butt cooked low and slow is an absolute delight. You want a lot of fat so that it will baste throughout the cook while rendering out most everything except th emeat. Cook it under 240 until you get an internal of 195-205. It should take 1 1/2 to 2 hours a pound and you will have fall apart meat with an unbelievable flavor. You're defintely on the right track. however, if you want to do a loin again, try wrapping it with bacon. Great flavor and stays pretty moist.

• Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,
    Thanks Wise, right now husband and I need all the BGE help we can get. I'll be off to the grocery for a Boston Butt and hope we get the hang of this thing soon.