Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Dinner

Options
NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After the wife, Lyn, shoveled out the eggs today thought I'd better do some eggin'. Had some home made sausage and ground beef so I dug up my modified "Modified Ain`t Momma`s Meatloaf" recipe by jeffinsgf.

The fixin's...
DSCN0297.jpg
Ready for the med egg..
DSCN0298.jpg
The egg is stable at ~275 dome, raised grid direct.
DSCN0299.jpg
The final product...meatloaf. Lyn made some banana nut bread.
DSCN0300.jpg
Plated..not fancy but good. Added a baked tater for Lyn and a grilled sweet onion for me, fried asparagus and homemade applesauce.
DSCN0301.jpg

Now it's watching the Super Bowl.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bill that looks good ;)
    Have you tried it w/o the pan?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NoVA Bill
    Options
    Hey Mickey,

The first 45 minutes is in the pan. Then you pour off the liquid and "dump" the loaf on the grid and finish up the cook without the pan.

Cheers,
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Bill......GOOD you could fire the eggs at last.....meatloaf looks delicious
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Great to see you back in business.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    That looks fantastic NoVa! Care to share the recipe? :)
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Lee,

Here ya go...

BGE-Beef Meat Loaf Modified Ain`t Momma`s Meatloaf - Egg Style

Description: Orignally a minor tweak by jeffinsgf to a recipe from Jamison & Jamison`s Smoke and Spice, I made changes to reduce carbs.

Ingredients: 1 T Oil - They specify corn or canola, I used EVOO
    1/2 Cup Minced Onion
    3 Garlic Cloves (I used 5 and will use 7 next time)
    1 t fresh ground Black Pepper
    1 t Salt (I used coarse Kosher)
    1/2 t Ground Cumin
    2 sliced fresh mushrooms
    1-1/4 pounds Ground Beef
    3/4 pounds Ground Pork
    3 T Sour Cream
    2 T Worcestershire Sauce
    1 Egg
    1/4 cup Beef Stock
    1 t Lotties Hot Pepper Sauce
    Dizzy Pig Cow Lick - optional
    Your Favorite Barbecue Sauce - optional

Instructions: In a heavy skillet, warm the oil and then saute the onion, bell pepper, garlic, pepper, salt and cumin until the vegetables are softened. Spoon the vegetable mixture into a large bowl and let cool for a few minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with your hands. When uniform, transfer the mixture into a smoke-proof loaf pan and sprinkle the top liberally with DPCL.

Set up the Egg with a direct fire and a raised grid. Stabilize the fire at around 275 and add a few chunks of your favorite mild wood. I used Persimmon.

Put the loaf pan on the grid and close it all up. Cook about 45 minutes or until the loaf has shrunk away from the sides of the pan. Run a rubber spatula around and under the loaf and decide if the loaf is firm enough to turn out. When it is, drain off the juice into a separate pan, then carefully turn out the meatloaf upside down onto the grid. This is a moment of high anxiety, but success is sweet. Now, dust the new top (previous bottom) and sides liberally with DPCL.

Between 275 and 300, it will take between and hour and an hour and a half to finish. I used an internal of 160 as my target. I don`t like rare meatloaf. When you`re relatively sure that you`re about a half hour from finish, coat the top of the meatloaf liberally with your favorite barbecue sauce. Allow the loaf to rest 10 minutes before slicing.

The only thing that surpasses the dinner of this meatloaf is the left over sandwiches!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Hey Dave,

How about you? Dug out yet?

Thanks,
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Beli,

Thanks. Did try to do too much given the past two days.

Cheers,
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great looking meal Bill. :P How was your onion? Tim
  • NoVA Bill
    Options