Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Another Pit Master Question

Willie Lump LumpWillie Lump Lump Posts: 229
edited 8:48AM in EggHead Forum
Reality TV being what it is, is it a reality that the squeeze bottle of Parkay is so generously used all over ribs?
I have seen more then one competitor using it and was wondering if anyone here has any comment.
I confess to being a “backyarder” but if this can improve my rib cooks it would be good to know the how’s and whys.
TTFN WLL

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Seems like that was a popular thing a couple years ago, but I think its waning now. -RP
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    I use melted butter and honey at the 4 hours mark, but I do not foil. Just pour that combo all over the ribs and let it caramelize a little before I add sauce.
  • Parkay or other squeezable butter is used by a large percent of competiton teams on ribs. Same with honey and brown sugar. Basically you are adding moisture to the ribs and you are also adding a sweet taste. Sweet is what most BBQ contest are about.

Do you have to use it...No. Does it make the ribs that much better...Depends on how good of a rib cook you are. Seen people use butter outside the foil. Seen people skip that all together.
  • Would this be in addition to using a mop? Or in place of?