Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza cooks too fast -- BGE Thermometer maybe off?

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]Just before making Pizza, I did the boiling-the-water and set my BGE thermo (the one with the glass top) to 212. [p]I put in the plate setter, then the pizza stone, and let the whole rig (medium egg) heat up to 550deg for 30 mins.[p]When I put the pizza on, it was basically cooked in 3-4 minutes, and the bottom was quite dark, almost burnt...[p]I made corrections for the next one by cooling off the stone with a wet towel that helped keep the bottom from burning. However, the pizzas were still finishing in 3-4 mins.[p]This seems kind of quick to me, since others are seeing 5-6+ minutes cook time. [p]I find that my thermometer needs to be constantly adjusted. After each cook, at room temp it reads 130-140 degrees (and its 70deg outside). So I'm always recalibrating it, and it is always off by 50+ degrees at boiling temp. Is that normal?[p]Anyone else need to recal this often, or maybe I have a bum thermometer? I'm guessing my thermo reads low, and maybe my temp was really 650+ when it read 550?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Jim,
    In fear of being labeled a heretic, I will suggest (once again) that you really don't have to get to thermonuclear temps for pizza. Try throttling the egg back to about 450 degrees and cook your pizzas there. I have great success with 6-8 minute cooks at that temp. I also wipe the stone with a damp cloth between each pizza. It cleans the old corn meal off the stone and cools it slightly.[p]Good luck,[p]Doc

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Jim,
    Do you have any sugar in your dough? Any chance you added too much? Sugar content plays a big role in the browning of a dough and can make it look like your temp is too high....

• Hamm
    Hamm Posts: 73
    Options
    Jim,
    Not that I am a pro, as I did my first pizza last night...but I cooked my pie at 425 for about 13 minutes and it was PERFECT. Crust and toppings were both great. I also used the same set up as you, plate setter with stone. So maybe lower your temp. Also, my thermometer is always needed recalibrated too, it is very frustrating.

• JimE
    Options
    FatDog,[p]Thanks all, [p]I will experiment and drop the temp to 450 for a few tries. It seemed to improve things after cooling off the pizza stone with a wet rag, so I imagine a lower temp will be what I need. I'll try again next week!
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    pizzadone%204-10.JPG
    <p />Jim,[p]If you can find some pizza screens like the one shown above, you will have much added insurance against burning the bottom. I got mine from a local Papa John's, but I've also seen them at Linens 'n Things and I'm sure they're available elsewhere. I haven't burned a crust yet using these screens. The picture above is the closest I've come to burning the bottom - it was nicely browned, but not burned. I think this pizza was cooked at 550 for about 10 minutes, and this was using premade dough that I bought from our local HEB grocery store.[p]TRex
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options

Pizza Screens:

[ul][li]Pizza Screens[/ul]
  • TRex
    Options
    BobinFla,[p]Great link - thanks![p]TRex
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    TRex,
    Here's the one I was looking for.[p]I have made several purchases from these people, and I will reccommend them.[p]BOB

[ul][li]Another Link[/ul]
  • JimE
    Options
    TRex,[p]Do you heat up the screen with the stone, or do you build the pizza on the screen, and then drop the screen on the stone?[p]Do you have to oil the screen, or something to prevent the pizza from sticking to it?[p]Thanks!
  • TRex
    Options
    Jim,[p]I don't preheat the screen, just build the pizza on the screen and drop them both on the stone together. No need for oil either.[p]TRex