Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crisp chicken skin - What works for you?

Options
Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've chased different forum suggestions on how to achieve crisp chicken, but so far the end result has been elusive for me. I've tried indirect and direct hi temp, loosening the skin from the meat, spraying with oil every 30 min, spatchcock and beer can, all with varied, but less than satisfactory, results. [p]Does anyone out there get nice crisp skin on a consistent basis? What's the secret?

Comments

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    BamaBob,[p]After cooking many a rubbery-skinned chicken, I finally figured this one out after some experimenting. Crispy skin seems to be similar to getting crispy bacon. You need to let it render, and get the water out. Someone mentioned to leave the chicken uncovered overnight in the fridge to help dry the skin some. I do this anyway with the rub on to let the flavors soak in, so it probably does help. Don't forget to put olive oil on the skin before cooking it.[p]Temperature is also important. You can't get crispy skin at a low temp, so this means getting the temp to at least 350degrees when cooking. I cook spatchcocked chicken direct, on a raised grid (Grid extender). I once smoked the chicken at 250deg and got skin that was so tough you could barely chew it! :)[p]I start it 25 mins skin-side-up. Then flip, and go the additional time skin-side-down, with the temp between 350-380degs. [p]Basically to get it crispy you need the skin to dry out, without drying out the rest of the bird. So, high heat at the final stages, directly on the skin seems to work. Make sure you do it on a raised grid though so the flames don't get up and burn the skin![p]Last time I did it I ended up with a very crispy skinned chicken, yum! :). Total time about 50mins at 350-375degrees.[p]Good luck,
    Jim [p]

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    BamaBob,
    Another trick is to start or finish at a high temp. For example, Alton Brown starts his turkey at 500 and then backs off after 30 minutes to the cooking temp of 350-375. Or, after its cooked to almost done at the cooking temp, raise it to 500 for the last 15-20 minutes.