Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wanting to buy a bge

Options
Roll Tide
Roll Tide Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the market for a bge and I will buy one pretty soon, converting from an offset smoker and grill. Recently we built our home and are waiting to build our patio and outdoor cooking area, which we plan on doing a pretty nice stacked stone area to go with the house that will encase the bge at that time. Regardless, I don't currently have a great place to put a bge. My question is would the nest be sturdy enough to have on the lawn area behind the house temporarily or should I build a table to place it in for the next year or so? The area is pretty flat and I had considered pouring a small temporary concrete slab to set it on(just large enough for the egg). I want to make sure that I protect this investment and I have found this site to be a great source of information. Any comments, suggestions, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Not sure what I would do. I would probably place it in the grass area where you would want it and see how stable it is. Are kids going to be running around it? Before I poured a small pad I would consider just buying 6 or 8 pavers and digging out a shallow footing a butting them up together and setting the nest on that to get you by. Just ideas.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    My first thought would be to just go with the a nest and cover. This would be less expensive than a table and a cover.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    I think the decision is dictated by the quality of your lawn area. If the lawn is hard and flat like a trennis court then the nest should be fine, but if the lawn is bumpy, damp or sloped then I dont think the egg would be safe there.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The issue with the grass area would be moving the Egg, so you could mow. If you are not worried about the grass, you could put down some pavers and create a stable area.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Roll Tide,
    Easy short term fix is to make a base for the nest to sit in with a piece of plywood that has a 2x2 border to keep the nest from rolling. Make the area level that you want to put the egg and start cooking. The materials would be cheap. If you need to move it just set the egg on the grass move the plywood to new location and you are good to go. When the new patio is done pitch the plywood. I take my medium camping and just set the nest in the sand wiggle till level and cook away, I thought I would have trouble with the wheels and the sand when I got back home but it has not been a problem.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SomedayMommy
    Options
    I too would build a temporary solution - like pavers for the rollers to sit on.

The good news is that you will probably be able to sell your nest when you get your setup built.

The egg is very heavy and top heavy, and the chance of hurting the egg and even worse a child are too great should it tip over. You will need a more level surface.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Welcome RT,
    If you are a do-it-yourselfer, the Naked Whiz has table plans on his site, I would think you could build a table, particularly a temporary one, for less than a nest and mates would cost. for temp use, you wouldnt need to use cedar, cypress etc, reg old syp should be fine for a year.
    Just my thoughts,
    Kendell
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    If your not going to need the nest once your ODK are is finished. Then maybe you should just get a few concrete blocks and set the egg on them. This will get it up to working level and only cost you 10-15 bucks and be very stable.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Where do you live and forgive me if you have said it somewhere before I am having a "senior" moment.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    In 2009 at the eggtoberfest everyone cooked using a large BGE in a new style nest with big wheels and a pull handle. We rolled somewhere around 250 eggs all over the parking lot and grassy area. I would think this my be the best temporary solution for you. That way you can roll it in or out or all around the yard. Then when you get around to having your outdoor kitchen built all you have to do is buy a new egg and then you will have two! Problem solved! :whistle: Tim
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestion, I appreciate them all.
    Crimsongator, I live in Rainsville, AL.
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestion, I appreciate them all.
    Crimsongator, I live in Rainsville, AL.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Here are a couple pic's of the 2009 event. You may have to look hard but you see we had the eggs all over the place. Tim

000_0951.jpg

000_0944-1.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    my eggs all sit on a paving stone, no nest or table. it was my temporary plan 7 years ago :laugh: this is the year i finish my patio project :ermm: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rib rangler
    Options
    i would build a table,no questions asked..the nest would be to easy to tip over. i have kids that made my mind up.buy two you will later anyway. i'm looking to buy my 3rd.
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    At your age you call that a brain fart!!
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    OK, great. I really wanted to call it a "rusty rooster" moment.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    That's right. I think we did talk about Rainesville. If you can mark it on your calendar, plan on going to Atlanta the evening of 2/18. Bobby is teaching a bbq 101 class that night at the bge academy. You might be able to pick up a used bge at a demo price there.