Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak grilling

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We like to charcoal steaks and don't know if the BGE is the best and easiest way to do it. I like the seared crust and read one of the recepies that seems to make it a very complicated process. Do we sear with the egg open? and cook with it closed. Just a little confused and love to cook steaks. Any help or clarification would be appreciated.

Comments

007 Posts: 10
    Options
    Stuart Melchert, This is the crux of the bisquit concerning steaks. The information was taken from the recipe page in the main forum. Enjoy.
    *Use the recommended cooking time of 3 minutes to a side, carefully monitoring the temp (keep it to about 700F). Both chimney and lower vent are completely open at this time. After 3 minutes, carefully, open the egg and flip the meat, putting it back near the hottest part of the flame, but not directly over it. DO NOT PIERCE THE STEAK WITH A FORK OF ANY KIND - use tongs to flip the steak. Cook it another 3 minutes. Now, you can flip it here ... or not, I choose not to anymore... After the second 3 minutes (6 minutes have elapsed, so far), close the bottom vent completely and then the top chimney. Let the meat cook for 3-4 more minutes (you can work with this last timeframe due to how you like your meat — I like mine medium - medium rare). Open the top chimney completely and then the lower vent completely. Watch the temp gauge closely and it *should* start to rise. If not, with an oven mitt on, open the egg about an inch for a couple of seconds to let in some oxygen and then shut it. Again, temp should start to go up. Your steak should be ready to come off the grill at this time. Total cooking time about 10 minutes.

• GoodEgg
    GoodEgg Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi, Stuart,[p]I can see where, after reading through this forum, you might get the idea that grilling the perfect steak is a complicated and time-consuming affair. But that's because so many of us are dedicated to advancing the state of the art when it comes to grilling and Q, and the Egg lends itself so well to this pursuit.[p]I would say that even if you just brought the Egg to 650 degrees, ran a salt-and-peppered rib eye on it (with the lid closed) for two minutes per side and then let it dwell on the grid with both vents closed for three additional minutes you'd probably come up with a steak that was better than you could get in most restaurants. (Just remember to take the proper precautions against flashback when you open the lid to remove the steaks).[p]Some of the techniques you'll find on this forum are almost scientific in their precision, and I love to read and try them. But in my experience there is also no easier way to make consistently wonderful grilled or barbequed food than using the Egg and any of the basic recipes you'll find here.[p]Have fun![p]