Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pizza Results/Thanks Tonia & Larry!

Options
Tanya
Tanya Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pizza turned out great! The pizza dough recipe was perfect and I thought pretty easy. I had to mix by hand (no processor) but it was very good. Had a little trouble getting up to 550 with the firebricks and pizza stone on but I think it just took longer than I expected. About 45 minutes. Then I actually had a flashback when I opened the lid. The daisy wheel was open and also the bottom vent and no harm done but I will be more watchful in the future! Toppings were bell peppers, jalapenos (I like spicy), mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, roasted garlic, sausage, sauce and cheese. I used a handful of soaked pecan chips, raised grid with pizza stone and firebricks under it, 5 minutes, rotated grid to even cook, then another six minutes. It was excellent, crust was very good ( I put it on one of those screens from Walmart sprayed w/Pam then on the stone. Slid right off). Smoky flavor was wonderful! Only thing I will do different in the future is ease up on the cheese. I used too much and it overpowered the taste of the other toppings. I will definately do this again! Thanks so much for all your help!

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Tanya,[p]So glad to hear you did well! I was never particularly fond of pizza, until I had it off the egg. Now it's one of my favorites....[p]Happy Easter!
    Tonia
    :~)

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Tanya,
    I'm glad to hear your first attempt at pizza was a success. Many of my first few (like 5) pizza attempts were complete failures.[p]Regarding the cheese, try having mozzarella sliced at the deli instead of using grated. We prefer it this way.[p]We all have our own 'recipe'. I'm sure I speak for all here as I say, "Can't wait to see your personalized recipe take shape"[p]Banker John

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Banker John, what we prefer is to buy the fresh mozzarella cheese at the deli in a .25 # ball- then cut the ball in a few (4 or 5)workable pieces and slice them with an egg slicer. Does a great job!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    RRP,
    I like the idea. THen again, the deli manager is a client and with just a call, she has the slices ready. Of course, the delivery of that extra dough ball made into a pizza goes a LONG way in her book![p]Banker John