Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trex question...

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
though i've already cooked my steaks, and sorta already have an answer, i figure a rhetorical question's just as good, since someone else might learn from it.[p]When you toss the steak on, and sear it, it heats up, but of course it doesn't get to 'doneness'. you pull it off well before it is 'done'. BUT, it has cooked to a certain degree. then, it then gets pulled off, to rest, while the fire dies back to a high-roast temp, say 400.[p]if the steak comes off the grill, and is at 110 (from the sear), it will cool. maybe drop back 5 or 10 degrees. it cooked to 110, but when you put it back on, the internal temp is 100.[p]My point is that you have a steak that has been cooked to a certain temp, but reads lower.[p]would i still pull it off at 130 if i like my steaks to 130?, it will have been heated to 1110, then cooled to 100, then reheated past 110 up to 130.[p]My feeling, after a couple tries, was that if I normally pull my steak off at rare (130 for me), then when I Trex it, I pull it off at a final 120 0r so. [p]Let's be extra goofy to illustrate the point.[p]Cook a steak to 140. Then let it cool. Then heat it back to 140. You'll have a steak that's as well done as one originally cooked til 150 or more, right?[p]Don't you have to dial back the target temp when you Trex?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I've asked this question a couple times myself. In addition to what you've listed, the meat will continue to cook even after removed from the grill, IMO. So, just what temp adjustment should one make for the TRex method? Beats me!
  • Pakak, these questions indicate that people are preoccupied with whatever numbers are popping up on a thermometer. After you've done this long enough, you'll be able to "see" when the steak is at the doneness that you like. It takes experience. You may overcook and undercook a few along the way, but being able to "see" a "done steak" beats the hell out of sticking probes in them. Just keep practicing...in all of my T-rexing drills, I've only had 1-2 bad experiences, and that was because of a bad piece of meat.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I *can* cook a steak to the doneness I like, without a thermometer. However, I generally don't cook just for me. Thermometers are great, IMO, when there are several guests and the desired "doneness" varies greatly. You may be able to do this. I can't and I'm not embarrassed to say so. It's a lot better to poke a probe into the meat than to slice into it to peek at the doneness, IMO.
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Pakak,
    I couldn't agree more. Ain't this fun? Part of the egging experience I'd say.
    Dave

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    stike,[p]Good question. I've never measured the internal temp of a steak just after the searing. But now sounds like a good experiment. However, I do doubt that you get anywhere close to the doneness temperature IF you are using a 2" thick steak. In fact, I bet it's still rather cold. So, you should just be able to go to the temperature you would normally associate with your desired degree of doneness.[p]I have to be honest though I say I've never used a quick read thermometer when doing steaks, quite simply because I still don't have one. I do use my Polder for low & slows, but I have yet to purchase a Thermopen.[p]Like others have said, it's really an experiment you have to tailor to your liking. That's why I say "finish off at 400 to your desired doneness." After a while, you'll just know when to take the steak off. Now, I do cut into mine every now and then and say, "Hmmm, needs to cook a little more," so I throw it back on for a couple of minutes. I just always make sure I err on the rare side. "Err on the rare" - sounds like a saying or something. [p]Lately I have used roughly 6 minutes per side at the roasting temp (400) to get a medium rare (warm) center. But sometimes I go shorter, or a little longer, depending on if the steak is slightly thicker or thinner, or if my temp has been slightly above or slightly below 400, etc., etc. Just have fun with it.[p]That was a long answer without really saying anything you probably didn't already know. The important thing to know I guess is that, though the sear/rest/roast method does have some scientific value to it, the end product is the result of your own personal experimentation.[p]Having steaking,[p]TRex
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Uh, that was supposed to read "Happy steaking." It's late.
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    stike,[p]Try this. I find it helpful. Maybe someone else will too.[p]Someone showed me this years ago.[p]Hold out your left hand, palm up. Using your right Index finger, touch your left palm down near the end of the thumb where your palm is soft. That's what a rare steak feels like. Now move your finger ever so slightly in towards the center of your palm. It's a little bit more firm there. That's medium rare. As you get to the center of your palm, where it is firmest, that is well done.[p]After a few cooks, you won't need to refer to your hand anymore, and you definately won't need a thermometer for steaks.[p]
  • stike
    Options
    CampCook,
    That's what prompted me to ask the question.
    I had to do a porterhouse for the wife to split with her sis, and they needed it a bit more dead than alive.[p]i cook by feel, but haven't done a 'medium' in a while.
    also, i'm told trex-ing a steak is all about getting it to "relax", which implies a limper steak than usual.
    i've cooked a bajillion syeaks on this thing, all to feel, but only twice trex-style. both times porterhouse steaks.[p]kinda used the probe on the steak for the girls, whereas i knew when mine was done... since i'd been considering the thermaoen, i got curios about temps.[p]anyway[p]the ladies split theirs, slightly more done than i wanted. mine was mooing at me. and for the record, this skinny yankee ate a 24 oz bad boy all by his self. [p]happy easter to all.
    (did a 6 lb bone-in leg of lamb. wiped out by the crowd.)[p]

• stike
    Options
    TRex,
    hahaha
    see my post below. i was gettin all 'scientific' last night after some reposada tequila.[p]hahaha[p]cooked mine by feel and the other by temp.
    i think, roughly, i found a 10 degree lag.[p]whatever your target temp is, if Trex-ing, I'd play safe and pull after the roast at 10 degrees lower than normal. in truth tho, i don't do steaks by temp anyway.[p]

• stike
    Options
    James,
    yeah
    i hear you.[p]if anyone's around, i'd never show em i owned a thermometer.
    hahaha[p]i go by feel all the time.
    was wondering though... so did the experiment.[p]...some do the 'nose' test for doneness too. tip is rare, little further up medium, ridge of the nose is well.[p]but i doan want nobodaddy touchin his nose and THEN my steak...
    bwa ha ha