Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kassler Rippchen....

Options
NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After my experience with the Pork Roast yesterday, I began thinking about making Kassler Rippchen , German smoked pork chops - loved them when I lived in Germany and I buy them at a German Deli for New Years Day dinner however they are expensive but delicious.

I’m thinking that Hi Mt's Buckboard Bacon cure would be a great cure of a bone–in pork roast along with a lo-n-slo using apple wood smoke.

Thoughts? Does this make sense? Please chime in.

Thanks!

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    sounds great to me but a google search was not real helpful .. as don marco is in germany and his posts and pix are amazing ,maybe he can give you some help .
    i will have mine with a side of scrapple :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Haven;t heard that word in a while. :P

Daddy Pops, Yeingling and cheesesteaks. :(

bill are you driving out this way any time soon? :huh:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Give it a whirl Bill. Those roasts are great and so is the cure.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    not heading your way any time soon unless i win the lottery [then i am going to jl's and beli's till it gets warm] ,,, but i will put some scraple in a priority mail box , while it is still cold out, and send it your way.. habbersets? rapa? hatfield?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Bill, I think that'll be perfect. Please let me know how it turns out for you. I assume you have a method to follow. If not I can try and help.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Hey Molly,

I'll do a 10 day cure on a roast, rinse then a couple hour soak in cold water and finally a lo-n-slo at 225 dome with apple chunks until the roast is 140 degrees????

I've looked on the internet but all I find is a recipe for a Rippchen dinner not the cure.

Going to Costco on Saturday to load up my boys prior to their return to college. I'll pick up another roast and begin the cure.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Adam, sounds like a plan.

Thanks,
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    That would be great if Don Marco chimes in.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Amarroso? I wasn't a big scrapple fan, but would really like a step van full of Lager. :P

In Oahu last month I had 2 cheesesteaks that tasted like Philli. they fly in the Amarroso roll daily. :blink: They were perfect.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice. I found one but I'm going to finger through some more cookbooks here tomorrow. I wish I had more time tomorrow to look through Samuels cookbooks. We will see how food production goes.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Depending on the size of the roast, 7-10 days. 10 days for the Large hunks o meat. 5-7 days for a big loin. That cure can be overdone.

Let us know how it go.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Bill...Sounds great, but understand the 'pork chops' will now be more like 'ham chops' after curing. If this is the effect you are after, than go for it! :laugh: Just make sure you post your results! (Sorry....I know absolutely nothing about Kassler Rippchen...so perhaps it is more like ham... :whistle: )
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    That's great. I'm not in a hurry..would like to do it right the first time.

Thank you,
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Adam,

Good point and taken. Rippchen has a nice light red appearance (darker than the pick color of fresh pork) that I want to achieve.

Thanks,
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Hey LC, good point, ergo, I won't want to over do the cure like Adam said.

Thanks,
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I think what you are suggesting makes sense. I looked at several recipes (I have the world's largest collection of English language German Cookbooks) and they all call for "smoked and cured pork loin" not "cured and smoked pork loin". I'm wondering. Did Cassel (the German butcher who developed the Kasseler process) came up with way to smoke the loin first and then cure it. Anyway, here is the brine cure that was suggested:
    Pork Brine Recipe
    Preparation time: 15 minutes but pork should marinate in brine for 12-24 hours. Makes enough brine for a 4-5 pound pork loin.

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup Kosher salt (or 6 tablespoons of table salt)
    3 cups of hot water
    5 cups of cold water
    3 bay leaves, crumbled
    1 Tbs whole Allspice berries, lightly crushed
    1 Tbs whole black peppercorns, lightly crushed
    10 medium garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed

Instructions:
    1 In a large, wide pan or bowl, dissolve the sugar and salt in 3 cups of hot water
    2 Add the Bay leaves, Allspice, peppercorns, garlic and 5 cups of cold water; stir to combine
    3 Add the pork loin to the brine and cover the container with plastic wrap
    4 Refrigerate 12-24 hours
    5 Remove the pork loin from the brine and pick the spices off the meat
    6 Dry the pork loin thoroughly with paper towels
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    There is a tremendous difference between a cure and a brine. This brine sounds appropriate, and will not 'cure' the pork....it will simply brine it. Thanks for doing research for your fellow Eggheads.... ;)
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    You are correct. However, a bit more research and I'm finding two types of curing - a dry cure and a brine cure. The brine-cure looks very similar to the brine recipe above but with longer brine time (5 days versus the 36 hours. )If we smoke the pork loin first, what temp do we need to reach? I'm assuming that it needs to be fully cooked before curing but since it will be reheated when prepared, can we get away with it being cooked a little less than the 160 minimum suggested by the USDA?
  • Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    Options
    Hi Bill !

Looking forward to see your approach on that.

Traditional Kasseler is cured for 10-14 days, then it is dried for a day and then smoked warm at about 30-50 degrees Celsius for a couple of hours so it is kinda halfway between raw and cooked. No worries, as its cured its kinda like a ham and can be consumed like that already. Its best to be cooked with sauerkraut or Gruenkohl in a dutch oven for a long time.

I never heard of curing kassler after the cooking.

Some people boil the meat in between the curing and smoking to an internal temperature of 70 C - but they just have no clue, thats about the same as with people boiling ribs in the US ;)

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    Options
    Heres what the meat should look like :

kassler.jpg

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Thank you for your input (thought I'd get the three of you in one reply). Great advise, I appreciate your thoughts. I'm going to look at the three sites Don Marco provided (my Deutsche is rustier than an old barn door hinge :ohmy: ).

I'm not sure if the brining approach will produce the desired flavor and texture whereas every time I make loin bacon, Buckboard Bacon that is, the wife and I look at each other and say "this could be a path to Kassler Rippchen" the cure and smoke that is. I even sliced half a dozen chops about an inch thick from the last smoke and made it with sauer kraut as a taste test - it raised our eyes brows and created hope. Albeit I didn't have any apple wood for smoke which is my preferred smoke for Rippchen.

Now I have two approaches, cure/smoke and brine/smoke. It's off to Costo on Saturday...stay tuned, film at 11.

BTW, thanks to evryone on this post, y'all are mensch in my book!

Thanks!
  • An Egg Downunder
    Options
    Thank you for that recipe. My mother's family were German (their surname was von Gerhardt Bandt) and I remember my grandmother serving thick pork chops (always bone in) that were pink and smokey and always served with a sour cream/mustard seed sauce. However, they never really tasted cured (hammy?) - it was more of a gentle brine flavour.

But, as a kid, it was the red cabbage (rotkohl)I loved most of all and I still prepare it in bulk at least twice a year and freeze as much as I can. The secret ingredient is apple!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Rotkohl is a favorite of ours also and yes apple turns plain-jane rotkohl into something special. I haven't thougth about making and freezing. Now that I have a vacuum sealer it make more sense to make in a big batch.

Thanks for the reminder and please post any efforts with the brine approach to Rippchen.

Thanks!
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    NoVa Bill, would it be possible to post the links that Don Marco provided. I looked through the thread but I can not locate them. It looks like the photo and maybe the links in Don Marco's post were blocked. I have been looking for and this recipe for a very long time for my wife and being this close to a possible find is exciting.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    I hope these work:

www.schweinefruende.de
    www.durchfallverbot.de
    www.kochen-fuer-doof.de
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Thanks, the 1st and last links don't work but the middle one does. I will have to wait until my wife gets home to translate it for me.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.