Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

did a picnic as a butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I followed Nature Boy's advice on doing a butt for a 4 lb fresh bone-in picnic my butcher sold me. I prepped it with olive oil and a heavy coating of the Dizzy Dig Swamp Venom. I let it sit over night and put it on direct at 210-220º dome temp for 8-9 hours (two hours a pound). [p]I used the BBQ guru to hold temp by putting both the grate clip and the meat probe next to the picnic (but not inserted into the picnic) on top of the grill. I set the meat probe to 190º and set the grill clip to 175º. The result was a fairly steady dome temp of 210-200º with occasional spikes up to 250º. When that happened, I dumped heat by opening the dome cover a couple of times. [p]I took the picnic off when the internal temp hit 185-190º. I usually wait till it hits 200ª but the dinner bell was ringingl.[p]I haven't done a 'butt' for a long time and I had forgotten how good it can be. it "pulled" perfectly with crispy bits on the bottom part and super-moist texture throughout.[p]I served with potato buns, cole slaw and a vinegar sauce made out of 1 part apple cider vinegar to 1 part white vinegar, hot pepper flakes, black pepper and sugar (to taste).[p]Excellent stuff.