Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic Shoulder

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since it's been a while since I've posted anything, and since today seems to be taken up with tom foolery, thought I'd post about last nights supper. Local supermarket had Picnic Shoulders on sale and I decided to try one. (They also had butts on sale for 99¢/lb but unfortunately only sliced ones...)[p]Simple seasoning: salt, pepper, granulated garlic - that's it. Cooked it at 225° for 8 hours (It was a 6lb shoulder) indirect. Let the internal temp go all the way to 200° before pulling it off the Egg. Darn good eating and I must say it was the easiest pulling I've ever done. I know the conventional wisdom says I should have pulled it at 195° internal, but I think I liked it better at 200°.

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Hey Kelly,[p]Long time no hear from. Hope all is well.[p]Did you notice a significant difference betwen the shoulder portion and a butt? I have never done one, but have heard that the shoulder is a little more "hammy" tasting. Good eats no matter what.[p]Welcome back![p]Mick

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    MickeyT,[p]My family claims the taste of a shoulder is more distinct than the tase of a butt. Quite frankly, I'll chow down on either one.
  • Kelly Keefe,
    KELLY,[p]MY SISTER (BERNICE) AND I (DORIS) ARE JUST STARTING TO LEARN HOW TO COOK ON OUR LARGE SIZE BGE AND HAVE A QUESTION...WHAT IS MEANT BY INDIRECT HEAT? [p]THANKING Y0U IN ADVANCE,[p]SISTER & I

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    SISTER I, First, the cap letters means your YELLING. So you may want to stop yelling. :)[p]Indirect means there is no fire directly under the food. You can place a pan between the hot lump and your food. Many eggers use the BGE plate setter or a large pizza stone. See the link below for these items.[p]You are going to love your egg.[p]BeerMike[p]
    [ul][li]BGE Plate Setter and Pizza Stone[/ul]
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    SISTER I,[p]Do me a favor??? Please turn off the caps lock.[p]There are two "styles"" direct and indirect. Direct is to have the food above the coals with nothing in between; indirect is to have something ( a plate setter, drip pan, etc.) between the heat source and the food.[p]Ken
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    MickeyT,
    Hi Mick! I've been around, but too busy with the 4 month old to post...[p]No, I didn't notice a pronounced "hammy" taste to the shoulder. (But then I think instant coffee tastes just fine, too -- grin!) Maybe a hint more delicate a flavor than a butt, but that could have been from my departing from my usual rub to just salt, pepper and garlic. It was mighty tasty though and I'll definately do one again.[p]Kelly

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    SISTER I,
    As was posted below, indirect heat is, well, indirect. I used a plate setter, but anything between the meat and the heat is indirect be it a pizza stone or drip pan. If you don't have a plate setter yet, I strongly advise you to get one. I use it on 99% of the cooks I do.[p]Kelly

• Kelly Keefe,
    Thank you Kelly for the info!!![p]Sister & I

• BlueSmoke,
    Thank you BlueSmoke for the info and the heads up using caps.[p]Sister & I

• BeerMike,
    Thank you BeerMike for you info...Will be ordering more cooking eggessories for the BGE today...Also many thanks for the heads up on "caps" etiquette.[p]Sister & I