Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Waterscapes
Waterscapes Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put on the Boston Butt this morining at 5:00 i let the egg stabilize for one hour at 250. Everything was fine until I left for chruch when I returned the egg was down to 200. I opened the doors to raise the temp back to 250. Why did it drop 50 deg.?

Comments

• Sevenrats
    Options
    Contrary to what you read, although it is possible for The BGE to hold a temp for a long time often especially early in a burn there is some variability until it gets really stable which can take two or three hours to achieve. 200 isn't so bad anyway. That won't make any difference in the cook. Just bump it back up to 275 or so for 30 minutes and then let it drift back down to 250. It's hard to hurt the butt!
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    In terms of why it dropped, your airflow was likely blocked a bit as your lump settled while burning and some ash formed. Use a wiggle stick to clean out the air holes, and you'll be fine.

Now that you've changed your vent settings, keep an eye on it and make sure you don't overshoot your target temp, or you'll be fighting with it all day.

-John