Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Quick Advice for Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Tanya
Tanya Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a chicken I want to try doing the Spatchcock method I've seen posted before. What spices or rubs, wood chips, time and temps? Direct or Indirect? Also, do you just split it down the back and lay flat? This is first time. Appreciate any help. By the way, I did my first ribs last weekend from suggestions on the forum. They were to die for! Almost fell off the bone. Cooked about 5 hours (3/1/1 method) with Dizzy Dust and hickory chunk. Delicious! Thanks for your help! Love this forum!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Tanya,
    I just cut out the backbone and then lay it flat. I don't usually remove the keel bone. I do a 4 pound bird for about an hour at 350-375 on a raised grid. You can turn the bird if you like, but I don't. I do it skin side up and let it go just like that. Personally, I love Montreal Steak Seasoning on chicken. As for smoke, I usually use just a little bit of pecan, apple, oak or hickory. Here is a link to my recipe page on Spatchcock chicken.
    TNW

[ul][li]Spatchcock chicken[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    Tanya,
    If you managed ribs the chicken will be a piece of cake. I do mine direct on a raised grid. I Split the chicken down the backbone lay on a liberal amount of Dizzy Pig Ragin River and throw it on the egg at a stabilized 325 - 350 for about 45 minutes or so (this is usuall a 3 - 4Lb bird). I might use a little apple or maple if any but be carefull poultry takes on a lot of smoke flavor quickly.
    Jason

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Oh, and I do it direct.[p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz
  • Tanya
    Tanya Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. This sounds pretty easy (watch me burn it to a crisp, Lol). 45 minutes to an hour, huh? I'm surprised it doesn't take longer. But I knew from past posts it would be quicker this way. I'll let you know how it turns out. I have some cherry wood I got for Christmas I think I'll add a few chips. Easy does it with chicken though, right? Thanks again.

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    Tanya,
    If you have a temp probe that is the safest way to go to tell doneness. the times will always differ depending on the accuracy of the temp gauge, height of the fire and grill, temp of the bird when you put it on etc. You'll do fine